1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is it worth it to buy G&L L2000 online without playing one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UnderDogbassist, Sep 17, 2010.

1. i'm selling my current bass because i want to buy something for everything, since i play alot of everything, metal, classic rock, blues, jazz, and funk. people recommending a G&L L2000. they look pretty neat, and i want one in black with a maple neck (looks cool, and i dunno. haha why not) anyways, i don't think any store anywhere near i live has a G&L to try out, so i'm SOL there. but ive been watching youtube reveiws, and all the such and i was thinking that might give me a good enough idea of what it's like to order one. what do you guys think? oh and why is it so inexpensive compared to other basses? the one i'm looking at is half as much as a stingray 4 :s

2. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    I assume you are looking at the Tribute line which is G&Ls import.
    I have purchased two new L-2000 tributes and BOTH had issues..and I am not a super picky person.

G&L service is horrible, they never get back to you...and are rude and curt when you finally get ahold of someone..

These basses look stout, but the pots, missing parts, stripped screws all have taken there toll on my patience. I am working through my issues and will keep both because I love the sound and feel, but if you are looking for a trouble free bass..Dude I would NEVER buy a BBE product sight unseen...
    In fact, I doubt I will ever buy a BBE product again.
    Sorry for the negative rant...

3. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    If you're going to buy a G&L online, buy a USED USA G&L from the TB classifieds. I don't know what your price range, but a USA L2000 is almost always priced lower than a SR4, and those of us in the G&L camp are straight up and reliable. Buying a US instrument will also clear up some of the complaints from the post above mine, and buying used will ensure that your investment won't lose 50% of its value the moment it's shipped out of the store.

Good Luck! G&L's are among my favorite basses.

4. That's one experience -- it hasn't been mine.

I have a Tribute L2500 that's solid as a rock. Great construction, great tone, stable neck, quality hardware. I have had zero issues with this bass and it plays like a champ.

5. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Mine too. I bought a used Tribute L2500 here on TB and it is in mint condition and plays fantastic. It does give tons of tonal options and for the price it cant be beat. I loved it so much I bought a brand new L2000 Tribute a few months later and they have become my main basses.

6. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    They have a unique tone. Listen to the sound clips on their website. They provide lots of different tonal combinations in the clips. If you like the tone you hear then you will probably like one.

As has been mentioned the US models used are a great value. You should be able to find a used one for the price of a new tribute. IMO and IME recent US G&L products have great QC so I wouldn't worry about buying without trying.

7. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I was about to buy one off TB without ever playing one (tribute). Then I saw one in a music store and played it. Glad I did because it turned out it just wasn't for me. Not that it was junk, but I just didn't want to have to work that hard to find the sound I want. But some people like that.

coolvirgin69 likes this.
  8. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    Dont get me wrong, I have no doubt many folks have had no issues with them. I do love them, I am sure the the 2 basses I purchased could be just a "bad run".
    If you search around the forums you will find others in my shoes that have had a similar experience and those who have no problems, just like every other mass produced basses.
    My biggest gripe is why buy a new bass when there is no customer service support..
    At least ordering from GC will get a no hassle return policy if you dont like it...
    Good luck!

9. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I picked up a frankenbass 5er in a trade and it has complete guts from an L-2500. MAN thats some amazing stuff!

I'm seriously thinking about getting an L-2000 to go along with it. I know the neck wont be exactly the same but I'm pretty adaptable when it comes to neck sizes.

10. Octoplus

Octoplus

Aug 17, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    I bought a new natural-finish L2000 (Indonesian) sight-unseen from eBay a couple years ago. Sound-wise, I found it better than the last 2 USA L2000's I owned. The tribute had no noticeable dead spots on the neck and the control cavity was actually shielded - I couldn't believe it. None of the US L2K's I've had were shielded, and two had particularly BAD dealbreaker dead spots near the fifth fret.

Of course, the real difference came with the feel of the neck. My Tribute bass felt a bit "unfinished" on the back in spots and didn't seem to be as well-sculpted. Also, the knobs and tuners didn't feel as solid. But overall, it was a great bass for the price paid for it and I regret letting it go to fund my US L2500.

The L2K series are GREAT for modding, and the Tribute series makes this a bit less of a risky endeavor. As soon as I got my US L2500, I performed some of the mods discussed here (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522089), which were a bit challenging, but successful nonetheless. My bass is now wired for single-coil operation in addition to the standard series/parallel settings. There are enough tonal options to make my head spin, but this also keeps the guitarist from picking up my bass whenever I step out of the room.

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    G&L's have their own thing going for them. I've owned many of them (all US models). My long term keeper (that I've owned now for 6 years) is a 1987 L2000 with the #6 (jazz sized) neck. It has killer tone and I will never sell it.

I would strongly recommend a used US model over a tribute. It will maintain its value better and has a better construction "feel" to it.

G&L's are fairly aggressive basses due to the MFD pickups. Some people don't like that, but I love it. They are very versatile basses, but always have that MFD tone going for them. I've used mine in almost every style of music in different bands over the years and many times in the studio.

12. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I often see posts about buying USA versions used for the same as a new Trib, but every time I start looking the USA version is at least $200 more.

Maybe I'm just not in the same "discretionary" income class, but $200 seems like a lot of money.

My Trib L2500 new was half, or a little less than half, of what most of the used L2500's are going for. I got a great deal, admittedly, but I've played both versions and the USA version wasn't worth it to me. Both sound exactly the same. The USA version has some minor differences and the finishes are great on them, but the Tribs just aren't far behind.

DSCF5919.jpg

13. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I would buy a us model no prob online, but not a tribute

14. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    no problems with my L2000 tribute. Bought online, plays great

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Was CONVINCED I wanted a MM Stingray 5. I played one, along with several other 5 string basses and the 'Ray, while very nicely put together did not rock my world. I loved the look, build and solidity of the instrument(s). I tried...wanted it to work but, tonally it didn't happen. G & L's are nice instruments too, their line-up wasn't for me either.

Try one before ordering, just so you can get a general idea what the tone & feel of that instrument is.

That's how you figure out what bass you want.

16. fontez5

fontez5

Apr 19, 2009
    Columbia, IL
    I bought my '06 Trib L2000 from GC online for $450 and it plays and sounds amazing. I've played both import and US and I can't tell that much of a difference. Sure, the finish isn't as amazingly crisp as the US model, but I also got essentially the same bass for less than half the cost. Same pickups, same bridge. If I wanted to get crazy I could swap out some of the other stuff to US specs but I don't see a need.

Also, I strung mine with La Bella 760 FL flats and it definitely helped with the MFD zing. I also roll the highs off on my amp a little to get it in check and it's just fine. I can get very close to replicating my '74 P's tone with a quick flip to the front pickup, pre off and I'm good! I bought it as a back up for my P but it took over as my main after one practice.

If you've never played one before it probably will scare you at first how bright and hot the pickups are - it did me - but give it a little time and you'll learn how to settle it down and make that thing sound any way you want! It took me about an hour but it was well worth the time learning to dial it in just right.

I say go for it!

17. Monsterbass74

Monsterbass74

Aug 6, 2010
    New York
    I enjoyed my Blueburst L-2500 Tribute. It was the earlier Korean model, not if that makes a difference but for me it did. I felt that the newer ones feel weaker with a softer neck. The action was superb, the neck was heavy and solid, and the tone which I mostly set flat and had switched in series was very powerful. I am looking for one again, or a L-1000/2000, and will gut out the pre-amp. I recommend it.

18. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Is there a difference in what "hard-rock maple" means depending on country of origin?

I do play mine in passive a lot of the time, but the pre is fun to kick on part of the time.

Tastes vary, which is all good.

19. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Personally I'd want to play one of these before buying, not for any QC issues, but because they have a very specific tone and vibe. I too read all the descriptions that mentioned L-2000's and ASAT's being able to cop precision+jazz+stingray+more tones all in one bass and got pretty excited... until I played a few. Like someone posted above, just not for me. Fit and finish on both the US-made ASAT and the Tribute L-2000 i tried were both very good, and I have no doubt they would make someone else very happy, but while the preamp and tone controls were very powerful, I was never able to dial in something I was happy with. I found that the active preamp mostly served to boost output and add high-end... neither of which seemed to help the tone, IMHO. Those pickups are already pretty darn powerful and bright... in the end the overall tonal profile was both too deep and bassy AND too bright and trebly for my taste. What can I say? I guess my tastes are more traditional than I thought.

20. yamark

yamark

Jun 6, 2009
    Lancaster, KY
    I got rid of all my basses and now only own G&L.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021