Is it worth it to get a really good case?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by natrab, Jul 24, 2004.

1. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well after just buying my first real high-end bass, a Rick Turner Electroline 4, I've been wondering about getting a good hardshell case for it. Since it's not a standard shape, there are not a lot of cheap options.

Rick Turner recommends for cases. They run around $300 and seem pretty nice. Only problem is they only come in the rectangular shape which I'm not a big fan of (molded cases are better at fitting in trunks). They also have a humidifier and meters to keep your bass from have action issues when traveling (I think that my Electroline is more prone to that since it is just an oiled finish).

What other good hardshell/semi-softshell cases are there that can be custom molded for my bass and what do you think of Ameritage?
  2. i would definately get a decent case, better than trusting it in a plastic gig bag.....but im having the same troubles that you are....having a kubicki....the only options ive found so far is getting a custom made case that would cost about the $1000aus mark, or get a case imported from cali from phil himself..which i dont knoe exactly how much that'll cost yet but id say about the $600+ aus mark
  3. If you are going on the road you should consider getting a flight case. For local gigs I use my Incase DUB bag, extraordinary piece of equipment :D
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Get a good case, it's worth it if you have any value in the instrument. I've seen a few instruments damaged or ruined in transit by using cheapo cases. Not woth the risk to me....

Heath, have you seen these from C&C Cases (Melbourne) ?
    Dunno what they cost yet, but they look nice. I'm going to email and ask for a price on the one pictured for the Kubicki.
  5. nah i havent seen them yet...but let us know when ya get the pricing back kubicki's stuck in a fender gig bag at the moment :bawl: ...the constant reminder that its an early fender custom shop kubicki :p but the signature on the back makes it all worth it :D
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I have an Ameritage case for my fretless. It's this one:
    The luthier who made my bass sold it to me new for $150, so you can probably find a place that sells them cheaper than $300.

It's a VERY solid case-it's also a VERY heavy case. The humidifier is one of the little can ones that you can buy elsewhere. I have a G+G case for my Elrick, and while it's a little less reassuring than the Ameritage as far as being able to take a trip down a few flights of stairs and surviving, it's still pretty tough and very light. I like the buttonable compartment it comes with as well. Maybe check them out.