1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it worth it to get an acoustic bass/ should everyone have one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cmac_64, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cmac_64

cmac_64

Dec 12, 2016
    So I have some christmas money left over and some amazon gift cards and I was thinking of getting an acoustic. It would mostly be for messing around on late at night but I will definitely be taking it with me when I go set up a hammock or slackline at the park. Is it worth the money? If so does anyone have a recommendation for a decent cheap one? I have like 100 dollars right now but I can pick up some work if I need to. Thanks.

2. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    In my experience, you're talking many more dollars than you have available right now to get an even half decent acoustic bass.....

Me?....I'd be looking to spend my money elsewhere....

3. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    It's definitely worth it. I can't count the number of times I'll grab the bass quick, to work out something, or join in with a song on the radio. There's no way I'd've turned on the amp and plugged in my electric.
    If you're learning, you'll find you're playing a lot more Bass, if you have an acoustic handy.

Plus, as you say, campfire stuff.

bebi, Bunan, LouieV2 and 3 others like this.
  4. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    It's not going to keep up acoustically. The only two reasons to get one are:

1. They look the part at an "acoustic" gig.

2. You can grab it quick to practice solo without worrying about an amp. (This isn't much of a reason though since you can hear an electric unplugged well enough to practice alone.)

jd56hawk, Funkabilly, djaxup and 16 others like this.
  5. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    Also this

GuilhermeBMotta likes this.
  6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    +1

Will_White and GuilhermeBMotta like this.
  7. That's why I wound up with a Rogue VB100 Beatle Bass knockoff.

8. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    My wife bought me a Dean Acoustic electric back just after the turn of the century. There are several great things about that bass, for me. For starters, I can practice without an amp. Second, it can be used in "campfire" type situations, on porches, in living rooms, etc.

For mine, I also have one of those JVC ghetto blasters (Kaboom) that is tube shaped. I picked it up at costco over ten years ago. It has two speakers in the front and one speaker at each end firing bass only to the side. It uses a separate amp for those two. It has a built in drum machine, aux in and cd and cassette deck included. It also has 1/4" mic and guitar inputs with separate volume controls. When I couple the acoustic bass with that little gem, I can really give the campfire stuff some punch, but it still "feels" fully acoustic.

Not mine, but this is the exact model:
    160820221_jvc-rv-dp100-kaboom-boombox.

9. OOD summed it up well.

Always wanted one for outdoor playing but I've never heard one that would be audible over a guitar of any kind.

Also, 90% of the ones I've tried sound baaaaad, like real bad. Clank for days! Maybe this could be rectified with different strings and/or a proper set up but the clanky sound they have is so repulsive... unless you're playing acoustic Korn covers haha

I constantly practice my bass unplugged even though I have an upright right next to it. There's something about it I really enjoy, the mix of digging in harder and listening better does it for me.

Quantized Harmonic likes this.
  10. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    Mine came with bronze rounds, but I put on flats. I get no clank, and it sounds a lot more like an upright. The funny part is my Dean is the first one they ever came out with. It was not very expensive and it really looks and sounds great.

bebi and Novarocker like this.
  11. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    I think is always worth getting a new bass...!

fourtet102, 5below, jaybones and 4 others like this.
  12. If I had one I would definitely be putting flats on it, how's the volume on yours?

13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    you might consider a rondo version of the ubass. i find my ubass is a great size for things like playing lying down or kicking back on the couch due to its small size and scale, and it's loud enough to hear but not loud enough to bother anyone. here's the rondo version in 3 different tops:
    Hadean Bass Uke UKB-22 - RondoMusic.com
    Hadean Bass Uke UKB-31 NM - RondoMusic.com
    Hadean Bass Uke UKB-28 - RondoMusic.com

i'll be honest - the rubbery strings do take a little getting used to, but not much and they're pretty cool. you can also plug 'em in when you want to.

btw, i had an acoustic bass before, and i sold it. it just wasn't doing it for me.

14. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    It's great for practicing and ok with an unamplified acoustic guitar. When I add the Kaboom it is phenomenal. The first time I used the combination was several years ago when my church had their service at Gene Coulon park in Renton, Wa. We had guitar, keys and bass. It kept up no problem but the music service still had that "campfire" feel. The acoustic will affect the perception of the band in the same sorta way an upright changes the "flavor" of the experience. i.e. it's not really the sound so much as the look.

15. Matt_784

Matt_784

Mar 21, 2016
    I rarely use my acoustic bass but when I do, its usually when we have jam sessions at the beach.

Burwabit likes this.
  16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    In my experience, you're talking many more dollars than you have available right now to get even a POS acoustic bass.....

If you're looking for something to play on the hammock buy a 6 string guitar and learn to play it, you will become a better musician for the effort IME.

fhm555, jklymak, Robert B and 4 others like this.
  17. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    I agree. Picking up an acoustic guitar was extremely helpful to me.

Novarocker, Max Blasto and BrBss like this.
  18. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I grabbed one last year because I was starting to play more coffeehouse and restaurant gigs. They're perfect for those. I tried a bunch of them and ended up buying a less expensive model, the Ibanez with the open grain mahogany finish. Never thought I'd own an Ibanez, but this one fits my hands really well. I added a thumbrest for comfort. Those with better technique may not need or want to do that. In any case, it looks the part and sounds pretty darn good.

19. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Yeah, exactly. Except that as an upright player, I'd have to snob-veto #1. I'd either bring an upright, or just use an electric with string mutes (or a rag stuffed under the strings at the bridge) which will sound about as good as an amped/mic-ed acoustic bass guitar onstage. If you're actually playing acoustic, nobody is gonna hear an acoustic bass guitar anyway!

Unless maybe you're gonna go all out and get one of those huge Ernie Ball Earthwoods like the Violent Femmes used? They seem kind of cool I guess.

maxresdefault.

djaxup, seang15, Frank77 and 5 others like this.
  20. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yeah, you're definitely snobbing it there. I have an acoustic I use when I play a gig with acoustic guitars. It just like right. I do have the bronze strings, so the sound is a bit more in line with acoustic guitars.

morgan138 likes this.