Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by todostusmuertos, Jun 10, 2004.

1. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Have a simple question and hopefully you guys can help me out. I friend of mine just gave me an old Ibanez gsr100 for free and of course I took it. I know it's not that good of a bass, unless you're a begginer and want to use it for practicing, but anyways, I was thinking about adding a Bad ass II bridge and some quarter pund P-bass SD pickups.
    I'm thinking it will make a tremendous difference, but I want to get different opinions. Will it be good enough for stage (backup).
    I want to put some good strings on it (GHS 115) and play it for when we drop D on stage.
    what do you guys think? Will a cheap bass sound good with those change or should I just forget about it?
    Thank you
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    mi amigo,

let me tell you, i have a MIM fender jazz - piece of crap (the neck is nothing like a vintage or a new american) - i'm a lefty, so i take what i can get.

my jazz sounds like a million bucks - i put a badass II, hum cancelling J pups, an Aguilar three band (wired for active/passive, mid-freq select and series/parallel), a Hipshot D-tuner (i can get a low B out of it as long as i'm not hitting to hard) and i use DR SS Lo-Riders - yeah it's not a Fodera, MTD or Smith (as much as i would love to have any of those) but those basses are not going to get me more money on the job. when you do it this way, you don't have to break the bank all at once, you can break the bank spread out over time! :D

don't be afraid to deck it out, it will sound better, trust me - my first bass as a Ibanez - sounded like crap until i but a 3-band EMG pre and some Barts.

good luck :)
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a squier afiinity P-bass that was my first bass. It was a gift from my family, and I couldn't sell it. I wouldn't want to. But, I was unsatisfied with the tone. So I dropped in some bartolinis. Helped a ton. Then I switched to EMG's. Even better! Definitely worth it, especially if you got your bass for free.
  4. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    That's cool man.
    Thanks for your opinions. I will go ahead and do that, I'm sure it'll sound good.
  5. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    It its free then why not. Even if its not the best. I don't think anyone here would turn down a free bass.
  6. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For What It's Worth:

Aside from a Lightwave, I only play low end Ibe's with transplants. I
    like the weight, the feel, and 2+2 headstocks. Also they have a decent size control bay if you want to go active and add a preamp. What you have to watch them for is a decent neck. If you can get it fairly straight and decent action, they work for me. The 100 probably has the same cheap tuners the 190 has but mine have stayed in tune fine, they just feel (and look) extremely cheap when there's no tension on them.

Logically I would think a bridge made of different material (ie. brass for example) or of considerably more mass would have some effect on tone, or at least sustain. I've replaced most of my Ibe bridges with Schaller rollers because I needed to be able to adjust the string width. I couldn't tell any difference in tone with the Schaller change, or sustain for that matter. At any rate, it's not something I would change looking for tone.

Pups can drastically alter tone. When going to extremes (ie.tapewounds to roundwounds), strings can make a major difference as well. As a rule, in my experience, much of the variation resulting from strings live gets lost in the mix, excluding any situations where the bass would stand out.

At any rate, since I've routed all my cheap Ibe's to accept any pup configuration, I haven't even thought about buying another bass. They work for me.

Also, keep all the old stuff so you can put it back to original when it comes time to sell it, you won't get much, if any more for the bass over stock with upgrades. The parts will be worth more seperate.