1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AndyTheDude, Aug 26, 2007.

1. AndyTheDude

AndyTheDude

Aug 12, 2007
    Ireland
    I've always been a big fan of multi effects. I own a Boss GT6B which I still like but recently I've started to think of getting a nice small 4 unit rack just to pamper myself and improve my sound a bit. My choice:
    Sans Amp RBI
    Lexicon MX300
    DBX 160A
    Korg DTR1000BL tuner
    I'm getting older and going this route would spare me the effort of carrying my amp (I could go directly into our PA).
    I live in a small town in Ireland and won't have the chance to try all these toys before I'll buy them. So, is it a good choice for a clean, hi-fi tone? Am I going over the top? Total cost would be 1400 euro.
    Am i missing any components? And what would be the best signal chain setup? What do you think, is it worth it?

2. Why don't you get a DI and keep going with your GT6-B?

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think the GT-6B has a DI. I think he just wants a change.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't think a 4-u rack full of gear is any easier to carry than the average amp.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    All of that gear in a 4U rack would compete weight-wise with a lot of SS and hybrid amps, and it'd be much bulkier! :meh:

6. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    Yeah but he wont have to carry arond cabs and effect slal the time, he can just plug in and go!

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    True... but a good combo can achieve similar results, as can a light head and a light cab. MarkBass is a good example of this.

I guess it just narrows down to personal preference. The RBI is definitely a great choice for producing a quality signal for the PA.

8. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    But with the cabs and the combos and head hed will still have to set up effects and there will still be alot to carry, if he just has this he can just carry one thing and its quicker.

9. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    MarkBass CMD 121P combo (12" speaker, piezo tweeter, 500W RMS @ 4 Ohms, 300W RMS @ 8 Ohms) = 13.3 kg

Pedal or handheld tuner + reverb pedal = less than 1 kg

Basically, a 14 kg (~30 lbs.) package with a DI output and a great modern tone. It's more "hi-fi" than the RBI, IME, and that little arrangement is pretty damn light.

But if he likes what he hears out of the Lexicon and SansAmp units, then it's a different story. :smug:

Weight-wise, I think they'd be in the same general range, though.

To the OP: Andy, the RBI isn't what I'd call "hi-fi" - it's meant to emulate the old Ampeg SVT + 8x10 rig. It's best known for its warmth and ability to emulate the tonal standard of classic and modern rock.