Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Yes, go for it, it's worth it!

4 vote(s)
  2. You're nots, don't do it, save it for practicing!

27 vote(s)
  1. First off, I am lookin for a 410 cab, and I tried an Ashdown yesterday... OH MY GOD!!! I have never heard any cab handly a low b so well. I was so blown away. Any ways, when I decide to purchase my whole set up (around 400 watt head, 410 cab, and 115 cab underneath) I am debating on taking the 12" speaker out of my combo amp right now (sorta ok Johnson combo) and building a cab out of it to go along with what I've got, or should I just leave it as it is and use it for practice? Also, any suggestions for my future rig would be appreciated. I know you are all going to come back and say it is all preference and all, but I am, atleast in my mind, still new to the game, and I would like some advice from my elders (don't hurt me! :p ). I play mostly alternative, rock, and punk.
  2. Btw, on the poll I meant to put nuts and not nots, lol.
  3. dude........

totally not worth it.

you have got to be kidding. neeexxxtt!
  4. if your getting a 4x10 and a 1x15 then there is no point in risking the life of the 12

a 4x10 and 1x15 is all you will ever need speaker wise, unless you do a HUGE gig, and at that point you'll be loaded so you can buy it all new.

just save the 12 for practicing

5. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    You'll never regret having a small, spare, practice amp.
  6. I figured that that would be the general response... or basically the only response, lol. It was just an idea, mainly to see if I could do it since I love to tinker and build things. Any suggestions on the rig? I'm sure you're all annoyed of guys askin' for suggestions on their rig, so if u feel like venting, go ahead, I don't mind, but leave a suggestion anyways ;) :p .
  7. BuMp :spit: <---I think that is so funny
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If you want to tinker, start from scratch.

Radio Shack used to have a great book on building cabinets, I built one and it was fun. We still use it,
    it's nicknamed 'The sweet 16'.

Basically, amp building prompts you to learn a little in electrical engineering. Basic electronic theory, such as how to connect loads in series or parallel
    or both, should be near and dear to every wireheads heart.

The question is wheteher you want to incorporate the speaker into a cab, or build a separate cab for it, and plug that into a [ hopefully ] available speaker outlet. This depends on the capabilities of the head and pretty much your own preference.

If you incorporate it, you do have options to switch it in , out, modify the signal, change the gain, etc.
    Some of these controls may be redundant depending on your setup.

If you already have a rig you like, the option of having a light practice amp is ideal.

So if you want to build, just go from scratch and learn to calculate ohmage, wattage and resistance.
    It's actually pretty easy. Have fun and good luck.:bassist: :bassist:
  9. Bumpity Bumpity Bump Bump Bump:bag:
  10. Ok, update, I only got the 410, so do you think it would be worth it to try and make a 112 cab using the not so great practice amp??? I do not know whether it is is the speaker or the amp on the combo that makes it sound so bad. Any feedback would be good. Also, do any of you guys know how much the Ashdown MAG 410 + 400 combo is brand new?
  11. Don't do it. Just buy the 15" if you want to cover all frequencies. A 12" wouldn't cover anything that a 410 and a 115 would cover combined. It'd be foolish to take apart your practice amp, cuz you'd be itching to have a new one as soon as you did.
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Keep the practice amp and get a 115- chances are teh amp AND the speaker aren't that good if its a johnson practice amp.
  13. That's basically my feeling, since it isn't even like the real Johnson brand. But, I love to tinker with stuff, and I can use my Ashdown right now for practice, I just keep it low, so I am conflicted since it would be a fun experiment.
  14. What's the wattage of your Johnson? If the speaker doesn't have an intake rating of atleast 100 watts of handling, adding that to a 4x10 would be totally useless... Allthough it may be fun building a cab for it, you'd eventually want to put that back in the johnson, and you'd definetly want to get a better speaker for the cab.

I agree:spit: <-that looks funny

EDIT: moderator
  15. The main problem I'm seeing with adding what would be a 1x12 cab to your existing 4x10 rig is that when you plug your head into the two of them they will get the same amount of wattage (assuming impedances are equal).

I see no reason why you couldn't just build a 1x12 cab to plug the head into for bedroom practice though, it would probably outperform the combo and you wouldn't need to push it in that sitation so the wattage handling wouldn't be a problem.
  16. Sounds like a good way to ruin a perfectly good amp. Don't do it.
  17. I probably won't do it. I am leaning more towards creating my own or asking for one for X-mas.