Is it Worth Paying to Fix or Replace Nut on Squier Affinity P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarMar, Apr 22, 2021.

1. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    See title. My first bass was a Squier Affinity Series P Bass (purchased new in 2004) and the nut is off-center. I have other, "better" basses to play, but I was thinking there would be no harm in having another backup that is playable. It does play with the off-center nut but it would play better if it were fixed.

Everyone used to say the bass is a piece of crap but it always did fine for me throughout my first years of playing. It survived practices, gigs, dings, drops, broken and repaired input jack, travel in a gig bag, etc. I know these things don't hold much value. Some people say they are good instruments and other people say they are bad.

Maybe I want to fix it because it has slight sentimental value to me because it was my first instrument. However, once again, I know these bass guitars aren't very valuable and I might be better off just saving my money and playing my working instruments.

GodPlayedBass likes this.
  2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The nut is so important to playability so yeah I would

3. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Having recently done it, if you can replace that nut yourself so much the better.

4. A good many Squiers get upgraded.
    Here's your chance to get a Tusc or brass nut. :thumbsup:
    It might even make enough difference that you can tell. :D

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I'm with the above regarding the nut and it does have value. It was your first bass.
    Affinity basses aren't bad instruments - with a little upgrading, it can make for a pretty good secondary bass to have. Change the pickups/electronics and that nut and it will sound like a completely different (and much better) animal. Make sure it doesn't have other issues first though like a maxxed out truss rod. If you do decide to sell it later on, then just remove the pickup upgrade and electronics so you can use it for another project and put back the old ones.

TyBo, BassyFred, Pdaddy1978 and 3 others like this.
  6. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I would fix it in a second.

TyBo, Pdaddy1978, Aqualung60 and 5 others like this.
  7. beatdatthang

beatdatthang

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    It’s like 10 bucks for a P bass nut. Buy one on eBay or reverb. Fender sells them pre-slotted. The last 2 times I replaced the nut on a Fender neck, I didn’t even need to file the slot. The bass setup just fine.

Get some pliers and rip the old one out. Then a little glue (not much, a couple drops applied with a toothpick into the neck channel) and stick the new nut on. Let the glue set for about 24 hours or so before restringing and that’s it. It’s about the easiest thing you can do to a bass.

TyBo, lavmonga, bnutz and 5 others like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If it is a bass you want to play, it needs a good nut.

9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    It’s a cheap fix that can make very noticeable improvements
    Do it!

TyBo and Aqualung60 like this.
  10. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I actually cracked a nut and a piece fell off the end - replacement time. The nut was about $30, the labor was about $10. (Early 1990's)

Yeah, it's worth it.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  11. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Do it! Cheap and easy fix, and you've got a serviceable backup that doesn't suck to play.:thumbsup:

Aqualung60 likes this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    It's not a big expense to get it done. I'm not so safe with files so I let someone do it. But I'd totally have it done.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  13. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Well if its that or buying a new bass I say replace the nut.

14. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    It's relative. Depends on how much ~$65-90 means to you, really. If its too much now, wait til it's not too much.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I replaced the nut on my parts PJ recently with a stock Fender nut that was pre-cut. It's a fine nut and wasn't very expensive. So yes I would replace it.

16. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Sounds like a great opportunity to learn how to put on a new nut on your own. Fun weekend project.

pipaberg and JimmyM like this.
  17. I also have an affinity p bass from 2004 (with fender original pickups) i wouldnt trade it for the world. They still used decent material in 2004. Its an alder body and rosewood fretboard (todays affinity is made from poplar and laurel) id fix it if it was just a nut without a doubt

Attached Files:

MarMar and Playbyear like this.
  18. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    In a word... yes.

19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    It's worth it to buy a nut for less than 20 bucks and do it yourself. If you getter dun, score. If you screw it up:
    A) it was broken anyway
    B) it costs the same as a new neck to
    get a brand new bass
    C) you could always just get another
    one and try again.
    But, if you do try to replace the nut, you'd need to buy fret files, and CA epoxy glue also.

Or, you could call some shops and get pricing on them doing it for you. But, that's probably gonna be somewhere around the same price as a cheap neck.

20. You'd be nuts not to fix it.:roflmao:

TyBo, Liam Wald, Aqualung60 and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021