1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it worth trading my bass for this bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris2401, May 10, 2010.

1. chris2401

chris2401

Mar 21, 2009
    Hello everyone!this is my first post/question.just wanted to ask:

i have a fender jazz bass '06 usa highway one.a few days ago this dude offered a trade with a ovation magnum I bass from the late '70s (1978).i just wanted your opinion,is it worth trading?I know,fender is fender,but a vintage bass from the 70's surely has much more value.i asked a few bass players i know and they havent ever heard of the bass!!!I usually like to play rock music(alternative rock,like muse,placebo,30stm and so) and the jazz bass isnt covering me 100% on that music.thanks everyone!

chris.

2. Droot

Droot

Dec 29, 2006
    Although there are no ovation magnums currently listed or recently sold on the Ebay, I seem to recall that they go for under $600 when I last looked into them. I am sure others will chime in but I think your Fender is worth a lot more (nearly double) then the magnum.
    DRoot

3. BenGrim

BenGrim

Feb 3, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    Just because a bass is from the 70s doesn't mean it's worth a lot of money.

That being said, depending on condition, the Magnum could be worth anywhere from more than twice what you're Jazz is worth all the way down to almost nothing.

If the Magnum is in good shape, I'd trade. They look like really cool basses, and it would be fairly easy to get another J-Bass.

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Personally I would do the trade.
    I think in terms of value, if the magnum is in good shape (as stated above) it can easily be worth the same if not more than your jazz. I think droot may have missed the "highway one" in your post. I don't think a used highway one would be worth any more than a nice example magnum.

5. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  6. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    What's the scale? The one for sale looks shortish. If it is, the OP might want to take that into consideration when making up his mind.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If the Jazz isn't covering for you 100% I can't imagine the Magnum will either. If you like it then it could be a good deal, otherwise I'd pass.

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

A used Hwy 1 Jazz is only a $500-$600 bass TOPS. I see them from $450-$500 "semi-regularly".

Ovation Magnum, depending on condition, could be anywhere from $450 to $800 in todays market.

ENTIRELY different instruments though. Value-wise, it's probably a fine trade. Whether or not the Ovation "feels" right to the OP...well, that's a different matter, and only one that he (or she) can decide.

9. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Is he local to you? Could you 'test drive' it on a gig to see how it meets your needs?

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Though the Ovation isn't worth all that much more/less then your Highway One, it is a MUCH more interesting instrument. There are lots of clever features on that bass, including the ability to adjust the volume of each string individually on the large pickup.

I have never been able to get around the appearance of the Magnum basses, but if that doesn't turn you off - make the trade. You'll get something that's more fun to own.

*Youtube is loaded with videos of the Ovation.

11. chris2401

chris2401

Mar 21, 2009
    Unfortunaly,no.we live really far away,like 500khm!he wanted to trade through the post office,but i didnt wanna risk something like that...im thinking of meeting him in the middle if the trade is worth it.

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    No.

13. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I would just keep the Jazz.

14. dionysusolympus

dionysusolympus

Apr 13, 2010
    Ditto.

15. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    value wise they are about the same but i would trade just to have a sweet looking ovation (not a fender guy). the features smcd mentioned are why i would trade, plus there are even more features than he mentioned. that foam muting thing on the bridge is one of my favorites. my friend has 2 of these & i really like them both, but i like weird instruments with gadgets & i hate fenders.

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    ovations are certainly more unique, but I probably wouldn't do the trade either...that is, if you really LIKE your jazz...

although you could easily pick up another HWY1 Jazz any day of the week...the Magnum is a bit more rare, but I wouldn't say it's more expensive

17. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I wouldn't consider it unless I could try it. Would I drive a couple of hundred miles to? Nope....

18. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd do that kind of trade in a heartbeat, especially if the Magnum is in good condition (but then I'm a fan). As said before, it's a different animal, there's nothing out there quite like it. I think it would work fine for the kind of music you mention, but it certainly doesn't feel like a Fender - more like some kind of long scale Gibson, being all mahogany.

19. yes.

20. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    If the Ovation did not cover your music needs as well as the Fender, would you still want to trade?
    Rocky