1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it worth transferring as a sophomore in college?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Mar 5, 2008.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Is it? I'm doing well at my current school, but a school that I'm looking at, a state college, has a more impressive English program, it's loads cheaper, and also has very active Asian American activism/awareness clubs and organizations.

By the end of spring semester I should have 58 credits. Think it's even worth it to transfer halfway through my college career, or just "tough it out"? I'm not too unhappy here, but things could be better.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    People transfer all the time all throughout their college career for many different reasons. My brother transfered to three schools before he finally found one he really liked. If you don't like your current school and think this new school is a better fit, do it! Otherwise you may never be happy at your current school and you'll always wonder "What if?"

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Abso-freakin' lutely.
    Especially if you can get into a college that you'll enjoy more, or that will look better on your resume post-graduation.
    Jobs only look at where you graduated, not where you started.
    Here in CA it's common for kids to start out in a Jr. (2 year) college, then transfer into a University. Very, very common practice, and when they get out, nobody says "hey, you weren't admitted to UCLA as a Freshman, get outta here!" :D

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This is familiar territory to me, as I've worked at universities for 28 years.

You have valid reasons for transferring: cost (always a consideration), a better academic program, and how well you feel that you fit into the institution. ALL of these matter.

Students transfer all the time, and most of them are better off for having done it. Let's face it, as you work through your college career you become a better informed consumer. As a result, you can make better choices....and this is such a choice. Congratulations, you're smarter and making better decisions than you were two years ago.

The only downside (other than physical relocation, if required) is that you might lose a few credits. Class requirements at your new college may or may not be fulfilled by the courses you have taken. At your current college (A), you may have taken English 105 to fulfill the entry English requirement, but at college B, English 105 may not transfer as the required entry course, so you may have to take their English 101.

Generally, courses DO transfer, but if there's a mismatch they may be counted as electives rather than fulfilling core requirements.

Getting an answer is easy! Just get an official transcript of your work, take it to college B and ask them to evaluate it for transfer. They'll tell you what matches and what doesn't, and given the program you want to transfer into, what courses you may have to take in order to back-fill the requirements of college B. If the two institutions are familiar with each other and are similar in nature, then the chances are there won't be very much mismatch.

So get your transcript, hike over there and check it out. Information is good.

5. dude.....transferring currently has ruined everything for me. I moved in to a college where they promised everything in my music major would be great, and my credits would count where they should, and we'd all be able to sit in an office and go "woo hoo", and I went through with it, and got put into a 2 year trap where I'm just trying to finish up so I have something to show....I wouldn't do it ever again.

6. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Why are you even thinking you should stay at a more expensive institution that offers less? Jump ship!

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Are these those sort of clubs that "keep an eye" on Asian American activism to make sure it doesn't get out of control? :D

8. Exactly...In fact, I'm thinking of transffering myself

9. From a social standpoint I wish I had transferred. My school is great and I may get a good job partly because of that. But because it's an engineering school, I'm exposed to very little else socially and academically. I'll never know if I would have done well to pursue a degree in philosophy because my school just didn't offer the opportunity. It would definitely be worth at least trying. And remember, if you don't like your new school, you can always transfer back!

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    If that's what makes you happy, then do it. One thing to definitely find out before making a decision is whether or not all of your units will transfer. Some transfers (as well as kids that do a semester abroad) lose credit for courses, often because they didn't fully research it first.

Secondly, I know that I met a large percentage of my friends in college during my first two years, especially my freshman year. Not that it would be hard to meet new people, but especially if you don't plan on living in the dorms, a fraternity etc then you may need to put in a bit more effort to meet people.

11. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I should also mention that if I do transfer, it would be my third school. I transferred from my initial college after freshman year because of a change in major. I was diagnosed with a heart condition which disqualified me from becoming a cop, so I dropped Criminal Justice (for which that school was famous for) and moved to my current school to pursue English. I'm content with the program here, but feel that the school I'm considering may be a notch better, because they have a larger, more esteemed faculty and English dept. in general. Furthermore, I feel like I don't fit in socially at my current school; I have friends here, but I don't like the overall "snobbish" and fake atmosphere that is projected by a large majority of the student body. To simply put it: a lot of the kids here are rich and spoiled, and many are rather ignorant about world or pertinent issues. They are also very clique-ish, which is something I thought would end after high school.

12. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Philosophy doesn't bake bread v:meh:v

Crack open a beer and join the party

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I personally love the school I'm in currently, but thats just me. Most of my friends from high school (either my year, or the year ahead of me) have already transfered schools at least once. I'm almost in my second year here and I'm enjoying it, enough that all my friends from way back when are transferring here. Just because a friend of yours is happy in a school, doesn't mean you will be.