Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is it worth upgrading my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by karxix, Dec 14, 2003.

1. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    do u guys think i should look for a better amp ?
    i have a marshall bassstate 65 that does the job very well @ band practice and in ALL concerts i lineout from the amp
    i have an ibanez btb1005 and a gt6b (with amp simulators) so do u think i should get a better amp that has a better preamp like an ampeg combo or smthg or what ?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I would buy something with more power. A 65 watt amp is not going to do justice to the full dynamic range of your bass.

I would take your bass to a few stores and try out higher powered amps (like 300-500 watts) to see what they can do for your sound.

If you are reasonably happy with the Bassstate, then you can take your time shopping and only buy when you try something that really excites you.

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I agree with him

4. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    well does the preamp do alot of difference in tone from amp to amp, since my tone mainly relies on the lineout in the combo amp i have/need to get...

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The preamp can make a LOT of difference, but if you DI to the mixer before the amp then it doesn't matter at all. Using a GT-6B that's what I would do anyway.

6. karxix

karxix

May 26, 2003
    lebanon
    well i usually go this way:
    bass -> gt6b -> amp (lineout) -> mixer

so would it make much sense in getting a new amp just for a better preamp (am thinking of the ampeg b115) or the gt6 should do the job itself?