1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is it wrong not to have GAS?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by uethanian, Sep 14, 2008.

1. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    interesting thing occured to me just now. at the moment, i have no GAS. not for bass stuff, not for music equipment in general. sure, there's stuff i'd like to have...but nothing i really desire.

my main bass is a squire j. my amp is a GK backline. and i dont feel like upgrading anytime soon.

i wouldnt say i'm an avid bass player, its not my main musical pursuit, but i certainly do enjoy it. everyday i read things on TB (yes, i pretty much go on TB every single day) about GAS, and modding, and upgrading, and seeing people trying to justify using all their spending money on bass stuff.

i guess i used to have GAS somewhat...but after the last 2 or 3 musical purchases i've made, i've become entrenched in my private music and generally satisfied with where i am as a bass player. i used to be really into instrument design and such, but dont think i ever found what i was looking for.

would someone with a philosophical mindset expand on this? are musicians predisposed to have GAS, or is it something we should do without? is it a sign of a healthy bassist, or is it used to compensate? lay all your GASiness on me.

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I'm not having any serious GAS problems for bass-related stuff. I only want a new pickup for my stingray copy...

Anyway, I'm having serious GAS for a guitars. I want to get 1) a really good-sounding classical guitar, and 2) I wouldn't mind a Gibson or Taylor steel string acoustic either. Then 3) I also want an electric with humbuckers, a hollowbody or LP.

3. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    I've only ever bought one bass and one amp, and I don't really have any burning desire to buy anymore than that (I also have a bass, a guitar, and a keyboard that I got from family members who didn't use them anymore).
    I do have a slight GAS towards soft-synths, though. I really want Reaktor 5 at the moment, and the EWQL Symphonic Library would be awesome to get my fingers on as well.
    Maybe it's because I can't find a band to play with, so I never play out and rarely play with other people, so I'm not so concerned with tone.

4. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    no. enjoy it.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Wrong? No. Temporary? Yes. It WILL return with a vengeance... ;)

6. You obviously don't spend enough time on Talkbass.......

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    There's nothing wrong with not having GAS. That may mean that you really know your gear and how to get what you want out of it.

8. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    haha i'm going to have to disagree...

9. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    No, it's cheap not to have gas!

10. Think of all the famous musicians that have played a majority of their career on one or just a few select instruments.

Sometimes you just stumble across the pieces that are "right" for whatever you want them for.

11. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I tend to have GAS if I'm not happily involved in an active musical project. When I'm in a band and gigging at least semi-regularly, I will go months without buying anything. Now, if I find myself without a band...that's when I get in trouble.

12. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    yea willie nelson who keeps patching together the same old guitar for decades

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Change in diet?

14. I don't have any GAS right now. Expenses make it so. Plus, no point having it when I'm just sitting in my bedroom.

15. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

To have No GAS is better. So many (myself included) have looked to "gear" in an attempt to remedy musical dissatisfaction.
    Though it's fun to have new toys and nice basses and amps, I always got the most satisfaction when I focused on my music, not my gear. I had a good amp (ashdown) and a good bass (Modulus Flea) and just played them to death.

That being said, I still want a 90's Dolphin Pro 1 and a KOA B.C. Rich Eagle!

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, it's wrong. REAL wrong. I'd suggest you see your doctor to see if he needs to adjust your medication.

17. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    This describes GAS and me to a tee!

To answer the OP's question, I don't feel musicians are predisposed to GAS, good consumers are.

18. Ehh, like others have said, I'm more inclined to shop when I don't have a music project going. Currently, I'm fairly satisfied with my set up. I've bought three basses in the last year in an attempt to replace my main bass, but I always come back to it. I've just accepted it now. My next will probably be a different variant of the same bass and that will be that.

My cabinets fit in my trunk and move enogh air for the last two projects i was in, so I guess I'm good. Like everyone, i'd like lighter stuff, but I'm not having to lift much now. My head is a bit bulky, but a decent rack bag should solve than.

Bottom line is that I'm pretty good with everything I own, with a few minor niggles.

Mike

19. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    No, it's a nice feeling. To be completely content.

I used to have drum gas realllllly bad, always wanting something different, new, better.

Once I built my own kit, I don't really want to play anything else. I'll browse at cool finishes, but at the end of the day, I wouldn't want a different set.

And then bass gas kicked in...