Is it wrong that I have no remose? (Mesa spree inside)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Jun 18, 2004.

1. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well it's been a fun two weeks.

Ok, I let my love of Mesa gear take over for the last week. My old promise to myself was to not spend any of my work-earned money on music gear anymore. I want to only pay for gear with gig money (as I've spent enough of my job money and have credit cards to pay off). Well I sold a lot of gear I didn't use, played a couple low-paying gigs, and made some money doing live sound for a few bands and renting out my PA along with my services, and I rounded up enough money to buy a Mesa D-180, a 1x15 cab, and a 1516 cab.

So at this point, I'm in the clear. Then wham, I find another 1516 cab for the same price as the first one I bought (the first one is on layaway as the guy wants to use it until October - I only paid for half of it so far). So I put another $200 down to put the other cab on layaway (while I sell my other set of Avatar 12s). So now I'm going to have 2 1516 cabs along with my D-180 (and my current Basis M2000). Now I'm already about $500 over my allotted "gear money," and I made the mistake of taking another look at craig's list. There happens to be a Bass 400+ for $600. The price is right and I pulled the trigger. So altogether I bought a D-180 (from our own reasonbass), a 1x15 diesel cab, two 1516 cabs, and a Bass 400+. I had $1200 to spend and I ended up spending $2300. Oops :rolleyes:

The Bass 400+ has gone on my credit card and I'm going to attempt to get some more music related money to pay it off, but I'll probably take it off my next paycheck.

Overall, I have no remorse. It's all great gear and I will get great use out of it all (and so will the bands at the recording studio I semi-work at). Someone slap me and tell me I'm an idiot, or tell a similar story and how it all was worth it in the end :p

Has anyone else made a promise like that to themselves and broken it in such a horrible way as I have?

(well I know my guitarist did as he went with me and bought a Mark IV head, a 4x12, a 2x12, and a DC-3 - once again all Mesa).

Time to go practice because I know I don't deserve all this great gear.
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's beginning like you are starting to catch up to me Nate. You've made some pretty serious scores on that gear - it's pretty tough to find Mesa gear cheap. If I get the gig at Mesa, though.... watch out!

And yes, I've broken that promise to myself many, many times. Fortunately, I'm discovering GAS subsides over time.
  3. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    All I need to secure are some shock racks (which are quite a bit harder to find used). No regrets though. Mesa gear is top notch and I'm pretty sure I could never bring myself to sell it. I hope you get your job so I can bug you more :p
  4. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    it's better to buy expensive stuff that you can't really afford. other than buying cheaper stuff which ur not happy with. i take it ur happy, say you are HAPPY :) !
  5. As long as you can STOP at some point. Before long you'll end up like me with a shed full of stuff that you can't possibly play all at the same time.
  6. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    How many musicians on their deathbed regret
    getting and playing with great gear?
  7. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Heck yeah I'm happy. And btw, that's my motto. I've wasted too much money on junk. Spend good money, and you get the true value.

I hear ya there too. I am, however, a collector, so we'll see :p

The big thing I need to think about is financial restraint. I'm not rich, and spending that much money does put a sizeable dent in my bank account.

Time to get to work and pay it off.
  8. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Ayayaya. I got the Bass 400+ today and played with it during practice. Now I understand when people say it moves earth. My guitar player's wife said that the glasses were vibrating across the table in the other room when I was playing (and I had the bass knob on 2).

This was using my Avatar 112s. I can't wait to give it a shot with the 1516s.

I think I'm at the point of negative regret now.