1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it wrong that I want to play a little guitar?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by cowboyfan2001, Mar 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I`ve played bass for 30+ years and played in the same band with the drummer for 20. Last February, we stopped playing due to personal issues. I decided to get a guitar to fool around until everything settled down.
    I`ve gotten to be decent at it and have learned 6+ songs that could be inserted into the set list and have jammed with the drummer and they sounded great.
    I`ve mentioned to the guitar players, who are definitely better than me, that i`d like to do a couple songs a set. They`ve said yeah, no problem, but I`m pretty sure they`d just as soon keep things the same.
    I own the gear with the drummer and we`re the two founding members. I don't think he cares because he`s still playing the drums.
    Should I just keep my mouth shut and play the bass? I really don`t think I`ll be happy doing the same ol`, same ol`.....

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I play bass in a classic country band. I'm also one of three singers in the band who can do leads and/or harmony vocals. I'm also a life long acoustic guitarist. I'd love to get on guitar for a few tunes. I play a lot better than the current rhythm guitarist, and mesh well with our lead guitarist. But no one will take up the bass for me to switch off to guitar. So I live with it. I have other projects, and do a solo thing too.

And yes, it's fine to play a little guitar ...

471147_3020714670956_1306697125_o.

3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I’m in the same situation. One of the guitarists will be more than happy to play bass i’m Sure. My problem is my guitarist expects to play my bass lol.

IMO if you really can pull it off then there’s no issue.

Booty Shaman and Artman like this.
  4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Sounds like rick danko...

Artman likes this.
  5. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I had a similar idea in my band, switch guitar/bass on some songs, but guitar player wasn't thrilled so I didn't insist.
    Guess he felt it like stepping into his territory, and I respected his attitude.

6. As a patron of live bands, what I really enjoy is when the band plays “musical instruments” (insert rimshot here). I.e. every member plays a different instrument for just 1 or 2 songs.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yes.

edit: de-emphasis

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Remoman likes this.
  8. Drummer tells me after 20 years that he can play harmonica. One guitar player can play drums ok. So why not get guitar player on drums and drummer gets up and sings and plays the harp on a song or two. Bingo!!

9. Both of the guitarists in our band also play bass but I prefer to keep it as is and only play bass because I actually prefer it. But that's me. I say if you want to switch off and a guitarist can handle he bass role do it.

gjohnson441496 and cowboyfan2001 like this.
  10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Unlike Rick I also played bass all my life ... tugging the fat strings since 1967.

Artman likes this.
  11. I have no issues with someone in the band playing my bass. One guitarist mailed me 4 guitars home while he was working out west and look after them until he gets home. Other is a lefty, but has a bass. The drummer told him we had jammed on several songs but apparently failed to mention I had learned them on guitar so he went ahead and started learning them. Poor communication on my part as well, I guess.

12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    It's just wrong, don't do it!

I play bass in one band, bass and keyboards in a second band and guitar in a third. Why limit yourself to one instrument if you want to branch out? It won't kill someone else to play bass on a couple of songs.

onosson, Suncat, Artman and 3 others like this.
  13. This may be may be a solution, as well. Do a few songs at an open mic or jam with some other folks to scratch that itch. Small town with 3-4 bands already so getting a whole new band going may not be realistic.

Artman likes this.
  14. That is really the challenge. Can somebody in the band play the bass. I play 5 string and I don't own a 4. Maybe a keyboard player could cover the left hand.

15. Not at all, playing other instruments will inform your bass playing and possibly lead to new discoveries. These days I spend more time playing synth and keys than bass.

16. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    YESSSS!!!! IT IS VERY WRONG!!! HERETIC!!!! LOL

EddiePlaysBass and JRA like this.
  17. pasmithy

pasmithy

Jul 7, 2011
    SE PA
    They did say, "yeah, no problem"

So what's the problem? Go on and play some guitar. I doubt it will kill anyone. Life's too short to go around trying to make everyone else happy ALL of the time.

bpmben, Stumbo, Artman and 2 others like this.
  18. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    They said yes, so figure out who will play bass and give it a try.

19. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    At the risk of being Captain Obvious - you can play guitar outside the band - at home just for the pleasure of it.

Rip Van Dan and JRA like this.
  20. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    We'll be doing it here in the future, one guitar player has no problem switching off.
    My brother's old band use to do it years ago, was always a hit with the crowd.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    btmpancake and cowboyfan2001 like this.