Is it wrong to charge others for them to copy your homework?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Apr 22, 2004.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    This guys been hassling me at school lately. He seems nice and I guess friendly, but he's real lazy and basically copies my chemistry homework ALOT. I've been talked into charging him for assignments. Is what I'm doing wrong?

(This is high school. I'm without a job. So why not?)
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, ethically, and morally, probably wrong. But that decision is completely up to you. You may be contributing to his downfall. He will just get used to not having to actually look at the homework, and fail tests, or try and copy there. Either way, it's not good. So I would say no, myself.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Legally, probably not, but most academic institutions have strict rules against plaugerism (sp?) and by charging people to copy your homework you are getting in pretty deep in that respect.

Morrally - i'm okay with it as this guy is obviously a doofus and why should he mooch off you for free! :D
  4. If you get in trouble, just tell them it isn't plagiarism, it's ghostwriting. ;)
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay im kinda bored so I'm gonna look at the ethics of this a bit. To me, there are two issues:

1. Is it okay to pass off someone else's work as your own and take credit for it?

2. Is it okay to charge someone to copy your work?

IMO, the answer to the first issue is "no". Clearly doing this means that the copier is receiving undeserved credit and reward.

However, the second issue is less clear. It would appear that if person x is committed to copying someone's work, the person whos work is getting copied *should* get some reward for that. However, if person x is paying for the right to copy, it could be argued that they are buying the "copyright" in the work and therefore it is the person who did the work who is in breach of the "first" issue (ie they are handing up work which someone else now owns the copyright in).

To avoid that, the person selling the work could make it clear that they are not selling the copyright in the work, but only a license to reproduce the work. But then they are implicating themselves in the scheme which is probably against the rules of the institution.

Hmmm....too many issues! :D
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Dude, my brain cells just started crying. Of course I've been up for 16 hours. Ahh, I am tired...
  7. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I guess you guys are right... I didn't think copying highschool worksheets was plaguerism. :meh: After I get my 5 dollars tomorrow for letting him copy (if he actually even pays) I'll stop charging, as well as letting anyone copy homework.
  8. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Now one could also make him sign a contract that allows him limited rights of reproduction, like you mentioned just above; but that makes clear the fact that you own the exclusive, full rights to that work.

If the teacher is at all sensible and cool, they'll see it for what it is and get a laugh about it and punish him for cheating and reward you for being industrious; but it ain't a perfect world so you'll both probably get in trouble for cheating.
  9. Charge him. If they're that lazy and care that little for their future then you may as well take their money. Lets face it, someone else is just gonna con them out of it anyways.

10. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Now you've got me thinking, I wonder if you could enter into some kind of agreement for valuable consideration whereby the copier agrees to completely indemnify the provider of the work in the event that they are caught.

Then you just say to the teacher, well, ordinarily, you would need to punish me for letting him copy, but under our agreement, he will step into my shoes and accept the full punishment for me!

Of course, the agreement would not bind the school / institution, but hey, its a thought!
  11. Aren't you supposed to be at work now, Mark? :D

I'm just cut I didn't think of getting the people who copied my work to sign anything... :p

12. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I am at work, I have no matters to work on at the moment so I am just reading through cases and keeping up to date etc. :D

Besides, when you spend 10-12 hours a day in the office working a little time on TB never hurt anybody! ;)
  13. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    It is absolutely wrong. If you were in a university you would probably both be expelled.
  14. Thats cool, I know that Lawyers do actually work hard for their dosh. However, they also know how to get money for their services, which brings me to a question - how are you currently charging for the work? Per page, per question, per word?

Yeah, at Uni/College you would be kicked out. I take back what I said earlier; I misread the original post. I would not do assignment work for anyone. I have been given offers to do so at Uni and its just not worth the risk. Copying homework that isn't graded is one thing, but assignment work isn't worth doing twice for the risks involved.

15. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    PM sent
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    In my opinion, both of you are at fault.

Of course if you are going to let him copy my advice is that you dont charge him and dont have him sign anything.

If he gets caught, you probably will too. If he payed you he will be even more upset at having been caught and wont defend you, however, if you do it as a favor he'll probably go with a story about asking to see notes and copying the work or something like that. If he signs something he can tell them about it and its just more evidence against you.

This is the advice of guy who went to "football high," a school where independant thought didnt exist and only 5% or less of the graduating class actually deserved it.

17. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    I distantly recall being in the same boat as you when i was a pup.

I feel he should be charged. You are the one doing all the work and he is just mooching off you and getting a free ride. So you need to make that ride less soft for him. Take his money.

But its also a non issue because you shouldnt let him copy anyway.
    If he is too lazy to do initial work, then he wont put in the effort to make it look like he hasnt copied it.

Its suicide if hes only going to copy a big slab of work as his own.

Last and final point.. teachers arnt as silly as you'd like them to be. I would think they know you welkl enough, and know him too. They will cotton on to this. You wouldnt be the 1st to try this.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OK, if you're asking about right and wrong - I don't think any of the real moral issues have even been touched here, so far.

So - what is the real point of school?

Obviously - it is to prepare young people to live and take part in society. A big part of this is about helping them to learn.

Now if somebody is copying - then they are not learning or doing themselves any favours. They are just cheating themselves and also wasting the time, resources and money put into teaching them. So - they are wasting the money that comes from everybody's taxes, to pay for teachers, buildings, teaching materials etc. etc.

Anybody willingly co-operating in this, is compounding the act - they are accomplices to the "crime" of wasting public money.

By accepting money, there is no doubt about the willingness of the person involved, whereas if no money was involved, it could be argued that the copier had done so without the knowledge of the person copied - by overlooking, stealing or "borrowing" texts etc.

By taking money, you are removing any possible doubt that you are an accomplice to this "crime" of wasting taxes collected for educational purposes!!
  19. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    On the other hand, you could argue that it illustrates many points about life in the big bad world. Power (force, persuasion, cash, etc) is spent to get people to do things that you don't want to do yourself ;)

However, while there are life lessons to be learned, I wouldn't do it unless the school officially sanctions such enterprise.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - not until : "Corruption in Politics" is a mandatory course on how to behave in public life, rather than a part of the history syllabus!! ;)