1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it wrong to replace the pickups on a LTD 2005 Hotrod Corvette?

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by rolleharris, Oct 27, 2013.

1. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    I have this wonderful Corvette Hotrod thats looks great but i think that my other basses with EMG pickups sounds better. Would i destroy the bass value of being an LTD Hotrod model if i change the original MECs to EMGs?

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Question is it a 4 stringer that has the 2 sets of P pickups one in reverse? Or is it a 5 or 6 stringer with soaps? I ask this because if the answer is "A" EMG P pickups are a different shape or should I say dimension and will not be a direct replacement the MECs are larger I'm 99% sure...

If it’s a 5 or 6’r they from what I can remember be a Bartolini P2 shape not a DC40 or DC45.

To answer your question about replacing pickups IMO as long as no modifications need done to do it and you save the original tronics so you can bring it back to stock if needed then I say experiment away. I have/ had many German and switched pickups in more than 75% of the time including preamps most times with better results for what I personally like which is a little more beef is in terms of low end and low mids I just like their voicing better for my tastes. If you don’t want to alter the preamp switching from MEC to EMG is an easy switch because they are both active pickups and there is no need to switch the volume or balance pots out for different values. Show us a pic…

3. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Sorry i forgot to tell you that is is the 4-string model. Ok so the EMG will not fit right in, do bartolini fit without adjustments to the bass? I have tried barts before and found out that i liked the thick woody tone the produce

4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

5. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Problem solved. I just played with the eq on my amp and now the bass roars like an animal

6. Don Johnson

Don Johnson

Aug 22, 2013
    Denver
    Man, I have the same bass (LTD 2005 5 string), and I have been thinking the same thing for so long. The sound is so thin compared to other warwicks. It is the thinnest sounding bass I have ever played (sounds like a fork with the eq flat). I can't figure out if it is the tone chamber or the eq/and or pick ups. I have played basses with similar wood combinations and they seem to have a fuller sound (like the kantana). And I have played basses with what I think is the same pick-up and eq combination (Streamer Stage 1). It seems to be lacking low end and low mids. Of course you can roll up the bass and mids but it starts to sound a little colored. Anyway, I would love to here "warwick Official's" take on this, to try and determine what is causing the thin sound. My guess is it is a combination of the tone chamber and the eq. I also have a custom shop with solid zebrano and maple wood and it sounds like a monster compared to my 2005 LTD.

Who knows?

7. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    I am thinking about changing the preamp to a Aguilar Obp-3 or an Bartolini

8. Don Johnson

Don Johnson

Aug 22, 2013
    Denver
    Sounds like a good choice, I had that combo in a modulus and it gave that bass some nice warmth. Does your bass sound a little thin as well?

9. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Yes i have to run the bass pot full on on the bass to get some lowend but then it just sounds muddy.

10. zxcvbs

zxcvbs

Mar 8, 2009
    Hi here you have EMG, Bartolini, and Mec Gold compared on a Corvette STD.

11. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Thank you very much :)

12. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I have a 2005 LTD model too and I agree with all the comments about the sound. Its a shame because everything else about the bass is fantastic. I think I'd sell the bass and buy another before I would screw around with pickups and preamps - I've played around with that before and its hard to get everything right without trashing your instrument.

13. TheHolyMackerel

TheHolyMackerel

Nov 27, 2005
    I have a 5 string Hotrod and it is definitely the most thin sounding bass I've ever had. I've always debated putting EMGs in there but then I get too lazy I suppose... It's a BEAUTIFUL bass and incredibly easy to play, otherwise. I'm trying to sell it so PM me for deetz :)

14. David Henry

David Henry

Mar 24, 2000
    Salem, Oregon
    ww layout.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  15. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    I have a '94 Fortress One (German) 5-string with gold MECs. Figuring out the settings took much longer than I would have guessed but in the end I can now dial in almost any sound on the bass by itself. Having a good amp is just icing on the cake. I use the passive a LOT more now than in the past as I can get a more traditional sound with that setting. More like the old 4-string P bass sound. With the active on I have to set the bass levels lower as it will knock plaster off the walls if I don't. I usually have the treble on max and the bass on about 1/3 full. Just moving the balance back and forth will change the overall sound a bit so try that as well on your bass. I had to get the information on all of this from the website so it's probably all there somewhere. BTW a bassist here in middle Tennessee changes back and forth between his barts and MECs about every six months. He just gets bored and makes the change. He likes both.