Is Jaco Pastorius for us what Jimi Hendrix is to guitar players?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, May 4, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I mean, look at the coincidences... i don´t really know each one story... but:
    they are both very influential,
    they are both Legends,
    they both died young,
    they both played Fender (even got signature series)

they are pretty close... i do think that Pastorius is to bassist what Hendrix is to guitarist.

can someone alse point a coincidence?
    did Jaco ever lit a Jazz Bass on fire :D?
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm sure jaco did it all. i know he admired hendrix. i also know that few before or since contributed as much to a style and genre of bass playing as he did. actually, quite a few styles, not just the obvious stuff that he is so known for.

ever hear eddie brickell and the new bohemians? that whole sound (female folky singer and fretless bass) originated with jaco and his tenure with joni mitchell. or mark egan playing with jewel.
  3. Jaco? Jimi?

who are these people?
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wow can you imagine the band they have together in Heaven WOW!!!
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yep, with Tony Williams on cans, 'Trane, Bird, Dolphy, etc. I'm hoping there's a seat for me in that auditorium! ;)

Of course, Jaco dug Jimi...Jaco paid homage to Hendrix with the "Third Stone From The Sun" quote during his concert solo bass piece; AND THE DISTORTION! ;)

On a tangent(since JT brought it up)-
    ...anybody see Jewel last week on PBS' Austin City Limits? Man, that girl is DEEP! I saw the last 30 minutes of the program...Jewel is in total control of her instrument(voice); one second, she's soft & lilting, the next second, she's Janis Joplin!
    She blew my mind! :D
  6. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I mean...just look at the coincidences between Jewel and Jaco...

I'll never be remembered, since my name does not begin with letter J. Ssssssssip.
  7. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Jaco had a secretary named Jimi. Jimi had a secretary named Jaco.
  8. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    <---- Jason....... hmmmmm :D

*looks for some common things with Jaco or Jimi... DAMMIT! Nothing!!! grr :D
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm kind of glad they weren't in a band together. Individual stars don't necessarily always do well when placed together. (Look at the 2000 Washington Redskins :) ).

Jaco was almost a "lead" player himself. He did do a lot of Jimi type soloing with distortion and stuff. From what I remember about Jimi, and I haven't heard a ton of his stuff, but from what I remember his bass player was pretty low key and kept things simple, and at a minimum, which is good for Jimi. Put them together and Jaco may have been too "busy" for Jimi, and versa vice.
  10. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Do you guys remember that Jam that Eric Clapton and Jaco did? That something in B Minor or something like that.. well yeah, when i first heard that, i was like "OH MY GOD!! THAT MUST BE SOO COOL" but it wasn't really anything great :) Jaco wasn't relaly leading! Clapton was mainly
  11. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    well so what if Jaco is to bassists what Hendrix is to guitarists?

does that mean I'll have to praise him whenever a gutarist starts talking about Jimi Hendrix?

Jaco was great but I hate it when people take someone and make a taboo out of him.
    I'm sorry, Hendrix is really nice (yeah yeah I have Expirience Hendrix, my aunt bought me) but I don't really see what major contribution has he made to guitar playing or music more than any other guitarist who didn't die at the age of 29.

anyway, what I'm trying to say is that Jaco didn't invent the bass guitar (or neither the fretless for that matter) and Hendrix didn't invent the electric guitar, they were just mighty fine players who really exceled at what they did. there are today a lot of great bassists and guitarists which I think deserve more credit than the above mentioned musicians (though I admit I like Jaco better than I like Hendrix).

is Miles Davis for Trumpet what Jon Zorn is for Saxophone?
    is Wagner to classical music what Black Sabbath were to heavy metal?

these things are not comparable, and its subjective to take a person and make him the sole representive of all bassists or all guitarists or whatever. IMHO :D
  12. i saw her on some show once, and in the middle of a song she would sing a phrase and the guitarist would double it exactly, and after they did that for a while, the guitarist played a phrase and she sang it back right on! it was incredible.

but to answer the topic at hand: yes. now we just have to figure out which guitarist is analagous to jamerson.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, but for the sake of discussion, there's something to be said for lineage. BTW, as far as trumpet goes, ya gotta start with Louis Armstrong, then Diz...Miles was more known for his "tone", his ability to re-invent himself, & his knack for putting together killer bands. ;)
    Sax? Zorn's way down the 'bout Lester Young, Fletcher, Ben Webster, Bird, Stitt, Rollins, Coltrane(according to many, the last great innovator), Sam Rivers, Dolphy...? What I've heard by Zorn doesn't stack up to these guys(IMHO). For me, Coltrane is the "ultimate"; power, grace, soul, heart,...
    What Jaco played/did had been done before, musically speaking...personally, there was a guy in-town here that was doing some of that stuff on an electric bass back in the early '70s(even in Milkowski's book, a certain Florida bassist influenced Jaco...I think his name was Garcia?). Anyway, Jaco, IMO, took it to another level...back then, I can't think of too many electric bassists who were able to flail through a Bebop solo like JP...the arranging & compositions, too, were beyond what most electric bassists were capable of. Just goin' by what I remember...
  14. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Wagner to classical music as Black Sabbath was to heavy metal? Hmmm... Wagner wasn't classical... He was romantic... I believe it should be said Mozart to classical music to Black Sabbath as heavy metal.. Or you can go Beethoven on that since he was both romantic and classical... Ah... But anyway... Mozart was the man... Wait a second... This post is about Jaco not Mozart... Mozart never played electric bass... It wasn't even invented then? Maybe he played a cello? Did cello's exist then? When were cello's invented? I want to learn how to play a cello... Wait a second... This isn't a cello website.. This is a bass site... Right.. Maybe I should get an upright too... I could dig that... Would rather have a cello.... Maybe the school band would let me in for the only person to have a cello... Right again... Bass site.. not cello... Crap.. I need a stronger amp first.. Then I need a new bass.. Fender Jazz... Want to get a fretless... Jaco played a Fender fretless... Hey look at that.. I am talking about the topic again... wow...
  15. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    yes yes yes yes yes yes ye s yyyyyeeeeeeesssssssssss
  16. no they are different because i have known who jimi hendrix was ever since i was about 8 years old, and i still dont know who this jaco guy is
  17. No. I would argue that Jaco has not had the widespread influence that Hendrix has had. He tends to be more admired by in-the-know players than average joe's, as opposed to Hendrix, whom everyone loves. Hell, even Ian MacKaye from Fugazi has admitted that Hendrix is his guitar hero...
  18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    this is no popularity contest... i´m talking about influence... i mean look a Steve Vai and other guitarist, they all admit heavy influence by Hendrix... then look a Marcus Miller, Wooten, etc... they all admit Jaco influence...

see my point?... i totally agree that Hendrix is more popular and known than Jaco... but that´s NOT the point :)
  19. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    They also admit Stanley Clarke influence as well.

20. I would posit that most bass players do not even know who Jaco Pastorius is. I've been playing for almost ten years now, and even I have never actually heard anything by Jaco.

(putting on flame retardant suit)