1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Jaco Pastorius signature fender jazz bass (non relic) really worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diego Rivera, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Yes, I misread the Sweetwater ad, I have actually not had good luck with polyurethane, unlike what the other poster has stated to me it feels soft and has not lasted a particularly long time although it's been a log time and I don't remember which brand round wounds I used, may have been Rotos which really like to eat necks or at least used to. The ebony neck of the TF bass is the best fretless neck I've ever had both in sound and durability. I do like the way polyurethane feels though a let better than epoxy, it also sounds better.

2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    FWIW, I’ve been using DR Hi Beams forever; and that’s what I would have had on all three of the basses I did gig time with. Wore like nails.

Do you remember what polyurethane you used?

I used the Minwax floor grade stuff from Home Despot. I still have two of the necks sitting in closets. One is a gorgeous Warmoth Birdseye job, ca. 1988, which got retired because I didn’t care for the feel of the steel beams in it. The other is a ca. 2000 MIM fretless. Nice neck, but took it off my parts bass just because I had started using my Zon. Both of those boards still have flawless intonation after many hours gigging. The third was a purple Fernandez 5. That board was no lines ebony, and I finished the polyurethane with a slightly coarse steel wool; such that it’s matte finish just looked like the underlying ebony board. That bass got snapped up in about two hours when I put it up for sale, now long gone.

3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I don’t care for the aesthetic of the Jaco bass; missing a PG, a lined fretless board.
    IME, a lined FL board will sooner or later give you problems; the lines all lift eventually even on a Pedulla.
    I have a TF and I echo the sentiments here.
    The unfinished ebony board will give you all the mwah you could ever want.
    All you need is the back PU to get the Jaco tone anyways.

4. No it was so long ago I don't, it was probably minwax though. I've been using DR Sunbeams too, great strings and don't seem to eat fretless necks. I love the ebony board it's uncoated and sounds great.

bucephylus likes this.
  5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    +1 Sunbeams are great strings.

My Warmoth neck has a beautiful ebony board on it. But, I played it uncoated for a couple years at a Blues open mic gig. Wore the board so badly in the Blues positions that my roots wouldn’t intonate properly. That’s when the experimenting started.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    No.

7. I don't think so. My Pedulla is 25 years old this year and has no issues. The polyester coating isn't even worn. We'll see how things are in another 25 years...

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Yes. Through headphones, I hear a little fret buzz in A Portrait of Tracy, so that may have been recorded on a fretted bass. It's certainly a lot easier to hit the false harmonics at the end if you have frets!

As for the epoxy, it's about me noticing a difference in feel and tone. Every fretless with an epoxy job that I've owned, I played before it had the epoxy put on, so I know what the bass sounded like and felt like before that was done. All of them sounded different and definitely felt different after the epoxy job. I know that even epoxy suffers from wear after some time, but with 1/8" of epoxy on there, there's plenty of room to remedy the wear more than once if needed. The most common oddity I see with wear from the strings on a neck with epoxy is from players using vibrato like you would on a fretted bass. That increases the wear. Side to side vibrato is the way to go on them.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.