Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Jaco using a distortion pedal on birdland.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Jun 15, 2003.

1. on Weather reports live CD 8'0 clock (Im pretty sure its that name or close to it) on the song birdland it sounds like Jaco is using a distortion pedal on his artificial harmonic opening. Is that a distortion pedal or just Jaco tweaking out his amp? Thanks in advanced. peace

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    He used gain on the amp to get overdrive, you can see it a lot on live recordings.

I think on Birdland, a lot was done with a keyboard synth. The melody in the beginning is actually him playing false harmoncis, and the bass line in the beginning is keyboard synth I believe.

3. I thought the Acoustic 360 was a solid state amp?
    :confused:

he mentions in the Milkowski Guitar Player interview from 1984(the one in the Bass Heroes book) that he had a fuzztone with a built-in delay (the delay being used for looping in the Slang solo).

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Jaco used an Acoustic 360 solistate preamp with 1x18" folded-horn 200W solidstate powered cab. The 360 has a built in fuzz circuit which he did use, so I presume that's what you're hearing.

Alex

5. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Correct! 10 points for you.;)

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Jaco used effects sometimes. The above mentioned 360 Fuzz circuit is one. He also used an MXR rackmount digital delay, sample and hold effects, and a chorus pedal.

7. You are correct. I should have said I was talking about the Melody and not Zawinul's synths. Well thanks for the help guys. Now im off to birdland (yes i know that was cheesy)

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    You're in New York? :D :bassist: Birdland is a great song, just wish my school had a better arrangement of it since the one we have is terrible. Thats all

9. Your teacher probably got the Mannhatan Transfer version of it. Man I have that cover. There lyrics are so dumb. PLUS its adding lyrics to a Weather Report song, whats the deal?

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I know this may sound dumb but i didn't realize that there actually was a club named birdland until i got a play bill for the show Aida and saw it in there and then the lyrics in the Manhattan Transfer song made sense. I like it but not for the same reasons as the original. I have taken this thread off topic but hey. As for the arrangement-i'll check. That'd account for why some of the lines in the song aren't quite there. Thats all