Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Jamiroquai Finished?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 3, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They were a breath of fresh air for me in '93. Then my bass idol Stu Zender left, whom I felt, musically, was one of the most important guys in the band, after him Winston Rollins (trombone) left, then they kicked Simon Katz (guitar) out of the band. Last year, the amazing trumpeter Martin Shore left, and now Toby Smith (keys, writer & arranger), whom I thought was the other important musical force in the band, has left to spend more time with his family. Is it time to stick a fork in this band? I'll admit, I kinda jumped off the wagon with "Synchronized".

2. Jamiroquai seems to be more and more the vehicle of Jay....which I guess that's what it was in the beginning. But they're definately not what they used to be, and Jay seems to be busy indulging himself in the pigeonhole he's dug for the band. I doubt he won't quit as long as the band sells. Still, I don't think I'll be buying anything from them anytime soon.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    oh man...don't even get me started on this one :mad:

yeah, when i first heard jamiroquai - and saw them on tv - that's when i decided what i wanted to do with my life. i pretty much listened to nothing but jamiroquai from 96 or 97 to when synkronized came out. right then and there i decided i wouldn't buy anything that stu wasn't on.

the cool thing about the band was that you had jay on one side of the spectrum wanting to do electronic disco stuff, and stu and toby on the other end with the old school influence. so they met somewhere in the middle, and for those first 3 cd's man, it was like yin and yang. but after stu left jay had way too much control and it started sucking.

i do remember reading something jay said though about how "the guys in the band help me out and do some writing, but this is my thing and we're going to do stuff my way." stu got sick of it, and i guess toby did too.

oh well...jamiroquai was dead a long time ago to me.

4. It's kind of funny, but people would say to me, "I like that guy, Jamiroquai," and I would always tell them that Jamiroquai is the name of the band and that "that guy's" name is Jay Kay.

Sadly, I realize that I was wrong and they were right all along. It really is "that guy, Jamiroquai." :rolleyes: :D

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Whose worse for bands? Ego or Ono? :D

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    maybe all the quitters should make a band together :)

i still like Fyffe... but Zender is one of those things too good to be true...