1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Kala the only U-bass maker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billiam5billion, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Just like the subject says, is there another company manufacturing bass Ukes?

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If you're talking mini bass, the Ashbory was out a long time before the U.

3. Yeah, I just want something with the sound of a U bass but cheaper, basically just something I can mess around with while I'm watching the olympics or drinking beer on the couch or whatever. Quality's no big deal, just something compact and acoustic.

4. So the millionth daily J vs P thread goes to 12 pages, but nobody can help with this? Bummer.

5. pastorjamesc

pastorjamesc Cheap Ability, Expensive Taste Commercial User

Jun 26, 2012
    Waco Texas
    Owner/Operator of Cotten Patch Sound Design. Burns of London Guitars and Basses retail. I do sound design, resetting, and education for churches, organizations, and small venues with no Sound personnel. Studio for "self-produced" rental use.
    Other than the Ashbory ($350ish) that's it.
    Only comes in fret less. I do however, prefer the u-bass strings to the silicone ones that come with the Ashbory.

6. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have seen 2 others pop up (can't recall the brand names) but the price points aren't much lower if any.

7. That's so odd that I can go buy a Uke for anywhere from 30 to 1000 bucks but the bass variety is so limited. I guess demand is low.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

So you mean is there a chinese knock-off of the U-Bass?

No, people have to start buy U-basses en masse in order for somebody to counterfeit them. Or they need to be worth a ton of money in order to rip off, a la, John Turners Ritter.

9. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

If you're looking for a Baritone-based Ukulele bass (like the Kala U-Bass) you're only options as far as I know are Kala, Road Toad's Big Bufo Bass (it's the basis for the Kala U-Bass designed by Road Toad) and the Kamoa E3E Bass (which is about the same price a the acoustic Kalas).

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There are other uke sized basses using polyurethane or thundergut strings but none of them are really cheaper. Most ubass alternatives are more expensive, like the Stevens bass uke. $450 for the spruce top ain't bad and you're gonna fall in love with it when you have it. But for couch playing is compact really necessary? Acoustics are huge but they get the job done on the couch and don't need to be plugged in. Playing my ubass while leaning back on the couch is pretty comfy but you can get an acoustic for like 100 bucks and just not lean as far.

12. Yeah, and I've also been looking into the Dean fretless acoustic, but the size isn't the only issue (that's what she said!) I'm also slowly realizing that there aren't any acoustic bass guitars that can cop the upright tone like the Kala. I've quit my gigging band and I've been jamming around town for kicks, so I wanted something fun and easy to carry around that would mix well with some of the bluegrass/country type dudes. Thanks for the input everybody!

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You can split it into 4 payments for the ubass zzounds. Go for it. You'd love it.

14. I think you're right. It's one of those things where I want something very specific and I should probably just hold out for the real thing.

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You won't be disappointed. I love my spruce and will probably never part with it, but i suggest shelling out the extra hundred for the mahogany. Its all solid wood rather than laminate back and sides but it has better tuners. Or the spruce top is great too. Absolutely go fretless, read the ubass megathreads (up to the fourth now) cuz theres a lot to know as far as stringing it which is a bitch, and technique and all that and your "real" basses will get really lonely really fast.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Michael Kelly Soujourn.
    Beaver Creek Travel Bass.

Neither are Massively less expensive than a UBass.
    Just a little.

MK is poorly distributed and supported.
    The BC doesn't really exist inside the U.S.

Save up your bucks, and get a UBass. You'll have a ton of fun.
    When you do, or even before you do, come over to our Megathread.

17. I dunno, should my first ever fretless be a Ubass?

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yessss! Mine was. The usual fretless vs fretted debate is very different with the ubass. Read the megathreads

19. I'm scared to check the megathreads for fear of massive GAS attacks and wife complaints.

20. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    YES! The notes are right where your fingers naturally want to fall if you relax your hand. It is so natural and so easy to adjust to...I know it is hard to imagine, but please trust me...and the string on wood sound and feel in this case is so much warmer. When you actually try it you'll see. the rules are a bit different here than with BG's.

Bluegrass traditionally uses upright, and if you are playing a ubass to replace it I say go fretless all the more. I sub the upright with a mahogany fretless all the time. My YouTube channel is Watsontbass.