Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Leland Sklar getting over-advertised?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    For about a year or so, Leland Sklar has been an increasingly regular face in BP ads, endorsing a variety of products.

I think he's the man as a player. But if he shows up in BP next month flogging the Garden Weasel, I'm not going to be surprised at all. Good for him...I guess.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Where's that signature bass of his that Yamaha was going to put out, that's what I want to know.

3. Ahh... the Garden Weasel "That's a mulch, and that's beneficial to your garden!"

I loved that commercial.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Gee, good for him... you guess? I say GREAT for him. He ain't no spring chicken and if another ad keeps him out of the studio where some no talent screecher is asking him to "make it more brown, but intense-like", then more power to him.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    [​IMG]

I love the caption. Also I saw Phil in concert from the second row back, Sklar most definitely plays EA. :D

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I just got back from a NAMM show. Personal appearances, endorsements, etc seem to take up an awful lot of a professional musician's time, and they all do it. I suspect this is because music doesn't pay as much as an aspiring musician would like to think. Whatever keeps Lee out of a silly hat at a fast food joint or an orange apron at Home Despot is a good thing.

7. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    we all should be so lucky as to be overexposed...if he sucked as a player, it would be stupid. as he doesn't, more power to him.

8. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    His bass line way back from 1970 in the song, "My Opening Farewell, " on the Jackson Browne debut album Saturate Before Using, still ranks as one of my favorites. Try finding a tab for that one!

9. Seriously, and I want you all to think long and hard about this:
    JUST WHAT THE F*** DOES SUSSUDIO MEAN????????????????

http://www.ckdhr.com/hrose/songs/sussudio.html

I have a pretty strong stomach, but just hearing that one word weirds me out beyond comprehension. Su-su....I feel icky....

;)

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    That IS an amusing caption. Their product is in danger of being fully obscured by a shoe.

11. I saw him on some PBS flea market show...

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    What you cannot see is the Cxl-112 next to the NL-210.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Although Lee has to do a gret many personal appearances, he hangs out at the EA booth because he likes to. His band the Barefoot Servants performed "acoustic" at the Mix magazine party in the Hilton on NAMM Thursday. It was a great show. Lee was, as usual, amazing. Jon Butcher the front man is truly amazing!

Lee was playing the EA 500 Combo. I think that performance alone sold a few new dealers at the NAMM show.

Lee is a truly nice guy and, as a player, deserves all the recognition he is getting

Mike

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    It's tough when you build really good but really small gear. Lee carries all his own gear and is thankful for the size/weight of the EA gear. Unfortunately, every time we want pics of our players in action, the amp comes off as looking all too small :p

Mike

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Mike,

I'm sure the cabinets will look much bigger when John completes development on the levitating NL210. :eek:

Cheers

Steve

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    We need to develop a partnership with David Blaine

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    He plays Dingwalls recently as well, so that's probably where the Yamaha sig went... :p