Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is les Claypool the lead singer for...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, May 15, 2003.

1. Is les the lead singer for Primus and Colonel Claypool and the fearless flying brigade? I just recently heard a song from the fearless flying brigade and the singer sounds just like the primus lead singer. I am confused because I remember awhile ago I watched Primus perform live on some tv show and they had just a singer with no instrument while claypool and the rest of the band were playing. Can you PLZ clear this up. Thanks.

2. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    les is the lead singer. by the way i saw him and the frog brigade last weekend and it was a stellar show.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yes

That confuses me :confused: Les was singing, but not playing bass? Do remeber what song was being performed?

"Colonel" Leslie Edward Claypool is the lead singer and bass player for both bands you mention.

Primus =
    Les Claypool - vocals / bass
    Larry LaLonde - guitar
    (originaly)Tim "Herb" Alexander - Drums
    (later) Brain - Drums

Primus is on "indefinate hiatus" and The Frog Brigade project appears to be Mr. Claypools primary musical project at this time. Other Les Claypool projects you might want to check out are:
    Sausage
    Les Claypool and the Holy Mackeral
    Oysterhead

check out Primussucks.com and LesClaypool.com

4. Les Claypool is singer/bassist/songwriter for Primus, Sausage, the Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, and Oysterhead. Not simultaneously, of course. :D "Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel present Highball with the Devil" was his solo album. He also played bass with Tom Waits, Buckethead, and Alex Skolnick. Maybe I forgot one or two.

5. Dont for get Bucket of Bernie Brains!

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    However, being that Highball with the Devil was mixed and produced by Les at Rancho Relaxo (home studio) and Live Frogs set 1 and 2 were both live of course, The Purple Onion album has been billed as Les Claypools first Studio album sinse Primus... :rolleyes:

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm going to be a nitpicking butthead and revise that:

Primus =
    Les Claypool - vocals / bass
    (originally)Todd Huth
    (then)Larry LaLonde - guitar
    (originally)Jay Lane
    (then)Tim "Herb" Alexander - Drums
    (later) Brain - Drums

brad cook

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    You nit picking bastard you! ;) But are you sure that they were going by Primus when Todd Huth and Jay Lane were around, or was that the Primate era? (although I think you are right...) Aw who cares, we all know Primus sucks!
    :D

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    And if you LIKE les' vocal stylings...check out the band
    Residents....Les' singing is 100% rip of their singer.

10. Yea, I was kinda confused too. They played "Jerry was a race car driver". They had someone else on bass. But, back then I didn't know that les was the lead singer so I though that the guy in the back playing bass was Claypool. I dunno, Guess claypool had a cold or something so he couldnt sing.

11. what about suasage?

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yeah, I wondered that too...I think that the advertisement I saw was billing it as: "the first full length studio album sinse Primus" - So Sausage was during Primus, not sinse Primus? or Maybe the person who wrote that never heard of the Sausage album...

13. from what I understand, Sausage was during Primus with people who had played with him before...I think Todd Huth was in Sausage

14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yes, Sasusage was during Primus...does anybody remember when the Sausage video came on during an episode of Beavis and Butthead and Butthead called them the Seminifrious Tube-loidial Buttsnoids... I'm not sure how that relates to anything, just a random thought. Todd 'Paclabar' Huth is also in the Frog Brigade - He and Les must be very good friends. I find Todd's playing unimpressive :meh: - now Enor on the other hand, that kid can shred!

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hmmm...I've always known sausage to be the Project that became primus. That is to say, the songs and stuff that sausage played many became primus songs later.

this isn't reflected very well on "riddles are abound tonight" because THAT sausage release was during primus.

but the band sausage, that is to say that Line up predates primus, not only chronologically but idea-wise as well. Claypool started primus as a continuation of sausage, sort of.

that's how I've heard it told.

16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm going to stick to my guns and disagree with this.
    I believe that it all hapened something like this:

Les starts a band with Jay Lane and Todd Huth - that band goes by the name of Primate but soon changes name to Primus. Eventually Jay and Todd leave the band and are replaced by Herb and Lar (respectively) this is all before Primus breaks. Primus has success. Both Jay and Todd had parted with Les on good terms and they all remain friends over the years. To help ease his buddies' pain of leaving what became a successful band and for whatever other reasons - Les does a side project with Jay and Todd (original Primus members) that project was called Sausage. So yes the line-up that is Sausage pre-dated Primus, in fact was the first incarnation of Primus - But the name Sausage came after Primus. http://www.lesclaypool.com/sausage/
    Of course I could be wrong. If anybody thinks they know their Primus trivia, go to Primussucks.com and take the 'you don't know cock' quiz (recomended for adults only) That thing will make you feel dumb!

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree with all that.

I saw Sausage on their '9? tour by the way. I don't remember what year it was...93 or 94 maybe. The concert that I saw them with was a triple bill with Sausage, Helmet and Rollins Band. Les jammed on his J-bass the whole time. I enjoyed it except for all the skin heads that were there to see Rollins. They were walking around in groups arbitrarily beating people.

The next time I saw Les was with Primus on the Tales from the Punchbowl tour (last one with Herb!!) and Helmet was the opener. Seems I cannot see Les without Paige.

brad cook