Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is "limonis aetheroleum" lemon oil?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bickele, May 4, 2004.

1. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi!

I've been trying to get a hold of lemon oil here in Bergen-Norway for my MTD535's ebony fingerboard as suggested by other TBers.

I found this bottle at the chemist of something that looks and smells like essential oil, called Sitron Olje, lemon oil in Norwegian. Latin (I think) name on the bottom of the bottle: "Limonis Aetheroleum".

Is this what I'm supposed to use for my fretboard?

Thanks

b.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would order some fingerboard conditioner off the internet. I have heard that some types of lemon iols can dry the fingerboard.

3. since i don't really know latin, i can't say that that isn't lemon oil, but if you go to this site, they refer to lemon oil as lippia citriodora, not Limonis Aetheroleum. who knows what that's worth, though.

the safety and chemical information is the same at that site as many other sites as well, so it is probably reliable.

to echo trevorus, why not try ritter fingerboard conditioner?

robb.

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...use Mineral Oil, sparingly apply it lightly on the fretboard with a clean rag, wipe down after a minute or so & clean any excess off, the end...

~S~

PS: Vinny Fodera recommended this to me

5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Yes, in a language other than English (German?). Aetheroleum generally refers to an esential oil