1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Lost lost or found?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Barkless Dog, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I loved Lost at first, great writing, excellent characters, but after a while it all becomes so pointless.

Oh look another mystery behind another mystery.

Its like that picture of the reflection of a reflection that goes on forever.

It preys on people's want of things being explained.

It's just one long chain yanking. I really don't care anymore. The worst part though is I still watch it.

Heroes is so much better, at least the first season.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I thought Heroes really sucked. I like Lost, but I only started watching at the start of season 3. I like the symbolism, especially that in the names.

3. Have to admit, dont like Lost at all. All my mates are really into it. So I hope it has a really lame ending :p

4. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    I'm a fan of LOST. I look forward to Thursday nights now... it's a very interesting show... keeps one thinking.
    However I can't see the show going on for any more than one or two more seasons. The next season should be it's last... dragging out the plot for too long will just frustrate it's viewers.

I liked the first season of Hero's... but this season is getting a bit stale. The addition of the "Veronica Mars" girl is interesting, but the other "new" characters are a bit boring. It's another show that shouldn't last for more than a couple more seasons... but I fear they'll drag it out much longer than that.

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I always thought Prisonbreak > Lost x1000000000000000000.

I never really got to watch much Prisonbreak, because it was on cable at around 10am (when I was at school) and the episodes on free-to-air were too far into the 2nd or 3rd series so I had no idea what was going on. But the dozen or so episodes I saw were really good. Something big happens in every episode. As with Lost it was big anticipation of something for five or six episodes, then it gets revealed and its something really craptastic.

I used to love Lost, literally. Me and my parents used to sit down and watch every episode on Thursday nights, with snacks and drinks. :) We got up to where the pirates took the kid away, and at that point we were kind of over the "mystery behind a mystery" thing. It just got old. Were they ever getting off the island? Was that even the point of the show anymore? How come there was that big black beast thing that was ripping down trees and confronted Lock, then we never saw it again?

On top of the boredom, there was a HUGE gap between seasons here. By the time the new season came on I don't think anybody really gave a crap anymore.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think LOST has kind of gone downhill, though I still watch it with my wife. I think it is really in danger of X-Filing, which is to say that it drags on so long that everybody loses interest and there is no resolution at all.

Last week's consciousness/time-travel theme kind of took the sci-fi aspect of the show to a new level, and I think the more they up the "sci-fi" ante, the more viewers they will lose.

The first and second season were pretty cool. They need to start winding it up.

W

7. I loved lost and still do. Even though more and more filler episodes poped up, esp in Season 3, i still watch it as soon as it's online. Season 4 has really been fantastic so far.

8. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    They are renewed till 2010!!!!

The one thing that keeps me is such great actors you care about. I really like Desmond, Hurley & Mr Echo.

Mr Echo was awesome

Others I could not wait till they died.

Characters I really dislike
    Charlie
    The Boone & his sister that died rightfully so
    Jack

9. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Lost has a guaranteed end date set. Season 6 will be the last season of the show. Now that the writers have an end date, they producers have said that they can start working towards that end and we'll start getting more answers.

The first 6 episodes of Season 3, as well as the big gap between that and the rest of the season I can see killing a lot of interest in the show. However season 3 ended fairly strong, and season 4 has been great so far. Last week's episode was easily one of the best of he series so far.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yup I'm a big fan - the one with Desmond time-travelling between the ship and Oxford in the past, was fantastic - I really enjoyed that - one of the best episodes ever! :)

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    +1, though i think i caught on a little later into season 3. (so i'm a n00b.)

heroes is friggin' terrible.

that was awesome. i really like dan faraday. about time a show depicts a physicist in a mostly non-stereotypical fashion. (something's wrong with dan, though. :meh:)

and if anything happens to me, talkbass is my constant.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I watched Lost for about three episodes, and then it started getting obvious to me what they were doing to people. It works, yep. My son still watches it. He's convinced he knows what is going to happen. Good for him, even though he wastes one hour of his life indulging in that dribble every week.

-Mike

13. Blackmag+c

Blackmag+c

Feb 1, 2007
    heroes is pretty cool

Hiro is the greatest character with his sword in the future (I loved that episode). Peter Petrelli is a bit of a whiner. He has all that power but is constantly like boo ****ing hooo.

Lost was cool till they moved it to satellite...used to be on channel 4 in england.

14. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    We're big fans of both shows. :cool:

Wilbyman, one of the big reasons we like Lost is the sci-fi aspect of it. The more, the better. Guess which channel is my wife's favorite? That's right: SciFi.

Check out Prison Break if you haven't already.

15. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    He's the Emo character. He reminds me of Saske from Naruto.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I dig it. Have been watching it since the first season. However, I have been getting the feeling that they're just milking this thing along until they get the cord yanked.

17. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Yo commercial break ya'll

Lost is da best, although I must say I kind of liked their adventures on the island and I really wish we knew more about Linus and the gang before all of a sudden the ship came. How is it that all the kidnapped passengers survived? Are 'the Others' fundamentally good once you look past some of their odd behavior? etc.

18. It's funny, because after the first season of Prison Break, when they broke out of prison, I stopped caring. :) My friend put it best. "Why is it called Prison Break now?" And I totally predicted how season 2 was going to end and lead into season 3. Another prison? This time the other brother is in it? You don't say...

And yes, they do get off the island. They show it at the end of the third season. But, well. It's hard to explain.

I generally think every episode of Lost is well done except IMO for many of the Kate episodes and some of the Jack episodes. Desmond's episodes are consistently good. Same with Sayeed. There were times during Season 3 where I doubted the writing staff, especially when they 1: saved a popular character's life in one episode only to have him be killed like a wuss in the episode right after, and 2: introduced the Brazillian dude and that other girl out of nowhere, but they more than made up for it by the end of that season. Sure. Each episode follows a formula.

Lost is planned to end at 6 seasons, which hopefully means less of a decline in quality. That reminds me. I need to go back and watch the rest of 1 and 2 since I started about 1/4 of the way into 2.

Heroes started out ok. My friends were really into it, but I thought some parts were laughable. Sometimes it was pretty good and I really like Sylar. Season 2 clinched everything for me though and the third season pilot has to be really good in order to get me watching it again. They spent way too much time dragging things out only to tack on a hackneyed ending due to the writer strike. They spent way too much time on the cheerleader's second season story. None of my friends liked the South American kids. They didn't know what to do with Micah's story and his cousin.

Plus I think their treatment of time travel is flawed since they use two conflicting theories and somehow avoid paradox by saying, "Welp! We'll just use a different time travel theory to explain this one!" Wait. It's fate. No. It's not fate. He can change things. Nope he can't change that thing though because it's not convenient to the story. :rolleyes:

19. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    AGREED!

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    this week's episode felt a little limp compared with "the constant," but at least we found out (we think!) a little more information.

oh, and ben totally has superpowers, besides the power to be super-creepy.