is low B too low?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Jun 9, 2005.

Low B too low?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2005.
  1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe

4. Don't have any experience(s) with notes this low

1. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I personally think so..
    What about you guys. Yes I know its bass so its supposed to be low, but personally i can't find a use for anything lower than the D you get by detuning the E.
    But I do however like having extra high end.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I voted "no"....although I don't use it often, I have played it numerous times (more for effect than anything else). I use it a lot more since I got my BOSS VF-1.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If anything, I wish there were a way to maintain traditional fingering and have the bass go down to A. That way it would match the lowest note on a standard 88 note piano. I don't think it makes much practical difference but it would be nice.
  4. i don't think so. i personally prefer being able to go up to C than down to B though.
  5. thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    I think it depends on the style of music you're playing, and how you approach bringing out the B-ig gun.

I find it extremely useful in church music (gospel/contemp/hymns). And it was nice to have for an alternative acoustic band I used to play in. You definitely need a musical reason to go that low, so get that set in your head before you drop one.
  6. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I have 2 fours stringers. Sometimes while playing with the band I do feel the need to go down to C or D. A 5/6 string is definitely on my gas list.
  7. psss :spit: ...low b is for p***** low c is where the fun begins :D
  8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It really does depend on your style of music, as well as your playing style. Personally, I'm of much the same opinion as you, All_¥our_Bass - the extended high range is more useful to me than more low range. But it's an individual choice...

If you don't feel a compelling need to go lower, then by all means don't. If the music you play requires it, then you (meaning everyone) should be a good enough musician to realize that - in which case, gear up accordingly. Otherwise, there's no reason to jump on the low "B" bandwagon. There's lots of cats who play a four-string exclusively - or a fiver with a high "C" - and are able to execute everything their music requires of them...

9. High C kinda guy, though someday I dream of a Dingwall 6, and when my 5 string ergo EUB arrives, it will have a low B string. I'm just not fond of the lowB's sound on this short of scale, 34" or 35", i've played both and it still seems lacking. Just my $0.02.
  10. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I detune a whole step so my low "B" is actually "A" I like it.
  11. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    First of all 'IBTL.' :D

Secondly, a five string player should be just that. You shouldn't have to sit and think "where can I play these 'lower' notes?" That fifth string should be incororporated into your playing style the same as the low E is. I just don't understand this line of thinking that the B string is a seperate part of the bass and needs to treated as such...

Now if you sit and ride nothing but the low B all night, that just might piss someone off!
  12. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    couldn’t agree with you more MysticMichael, I jumped on the low B wagon a few years back and got a BTB505, because I was expanding musically.
    I was not impressed with the sound I got for a few reasons:

1: The bass was not the greatest and had a thin uncomfortable neck, developed a cramping claw hand playing the beast.
    2: I have a SVT 4 & 8X10 Ampeg cab and the low B, no matter how much I tweaked the amp, would not sound good, then if it did - as soon as I went higher up the neck I was too loud.
    3: It didn't really fit the music I play (stoner rock/southern rock) when I did do low runs or just a low note hear and there my sound disappeared (could have used a pedal to boost, but what a pain in the arse)
    4: I didn't do enough training, practicing or research before getting a 5'er

I can't wait to get another one, but I’ll get another rig that would be better suited for the sound I want - you gotta have the right rig for a 5'er, for right now I’ve got 4 four stringers, and am saving & gassing for my next rig hopefully Eden, or Epifani I still gotta play through some to decide, love the tone though. Sorry for the war and peace novel
  13. It's not low enough. I'm not really sure of the question though. Too low for what?
  14. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    too low for the slow of the tempo
  15. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    Not that i have any basses that are tuned to b or any 5 string bass but when i played on a musicman sub5 i thought the low b was excellent, I also think it can increase the range of notes you have so you dont have to play the same octave you can go down to it instead of up, i like the low b but thats as far as i would go, i dont like basses with more than 5 strings but thats my opinion
  16. No, because it's great. I've discovered a setting on my Alembic SF-2 Superfilter that makes my Benavente's low B sound like a blast from a giant pipe organ, very cool and it frightens the whole neighbourhood... :D
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well said. My basses have 5 strings, not 4 plus a thumbrest!

As noted, depends on the song. Some modern rock songs have bass lines that stay way down low.

Most of the covers I play were done on 4-string. Sometimes I stay within 4-string range, but sometimes I don't. I play what feels right to me. I'm sure some purists out there cringe whenever a bassist goes below low E in a Motown tune, but hey, that's their problem, not mine. :p
  18. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Come on, Paul Chambers only had four strings. :eyebrow:
  19. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

Ever heard of a sub-contra bass?