Is low pass the way to go?(octave down guitar as bass)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MicRidley, Nov 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hey everyone,

Normally I am playing a four or five string bass into my amp&cab. sometimes I play around with bi amping my bass into a guitar amp with an octave up effect.

However, lately while I've been playing dual amped I've been fooling with the idea of playing electric guitar into both amps instead of a bass.

Unfortunately, I've found that I dislike the guitar's higher strings in the bass amp. As such, I'd like to filter out the high frequencies on the bass amp.

Is there a pedal other than low pass filters that would do this? Perhaps some eq or noise gate type pedal.

Right now my signal is like the inserted file.
    Guitar to tuner->reverb ->aby splitter.
    A->octave down ->bass amp
    B->fuzz->guitar amp
    IMG_20161119_074125451.jpg
    I'd like to put some sort of filter after the octave down.

What are your thoughts?

I've limited experience with effects and knowledge regarding my options. So your superior know-how is much appreciated!

-mic

2. Kongkamerat

Kongkamerat

Oct 11, 2013
    This may not be the answer you're looking for, but anyway:

A low pass filter would not remove the high strings but make them sound more muffled/sine-wavey.

To truly get only the sound of the bass strings to another amp you could put another pickup in your guitar, but install it in such a way that it only is covered by the bass strings. Half a p-pickup could do the trick. Or one where the two parts are side by side. Then install a separate output which is sent to the bass amp. You may not want to do this in a nice, expensive guitar, though.

Check out Charlie hunter to see an example.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021