1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Madonna's English accent real or fake?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Real

4.5%
  2. Fake

79.1%
  3. She's just talking with carrots in her mouth.

16.4%
  1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I definitely think it's fake.

damn I misspelled the poll question!

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    She doesn't have one.

3. She doesn't sound English at all. She just sounds, well, less American than she used to. Being married to an English bloke and living over here for a while will do that... ask my (American) wife. :D

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Hard to say. Given that it's Madonna, my instinct would be to say "fake". On the other hand, the accent really does start to rub off on you when you've been there awhile...

It's probably real - but exaggerated...

MM

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Fake as stripper boobs.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    She's like from Detroit or something. I'm still not sure I'd call it fake, pretentious as hell sounds a bit more fitting.

7. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I think she's more real now than she used to be. She was just young, I would bet that it is real, your surroundings will rub off on you.

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Yep, she's from Michigan. Fake for sure.

9. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    an accent does rub off on you, I'm English and mine smoothed into a trans-Atlantic mash-up after being in NY for so long... plus no-one could understand me...

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Fake / contrived are different things :)

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Since she's not from England, there's only one answer.

12. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I wouldn't call it totally fake, but perhaps a bit, dunno. My Swedish dialect (yes I'm sSwedish speaking) is a mix of two very different dialects, a third is coming more and more too. I just seem to slightly change the way I speak depending on how the people in the area I live in speak. I think it's pretty natural. When I was a kid and lived in Sweden I spoke a typical clean Swedish dialect, when moving to Finland the Swedish spoken here took over, but you can still hear something in my dialect from that time. Now I'm living in another place a few hundred kilometers away where the dialect is very different again from the other two, and I slowly seem to adopt that one too.

My voice will start to sound pretty funny soon I guess :( :D

13. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    I voted fake because it has a rather "elitist" tone, it just doesn't feel real. That said,,,,what's wrong with changing one's dialect? The thing is; why, or better yet; how? The way she speaks kinda' provokes the thought (from Americans, her home town folks); "hmm..you sure are la-de-da with that fine English language".

14. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    She is living proof that fame is sexually transmitted. Nobody ever heard of Guy Ritchie until he started sleeping with her. She's got to be the most pretentious, hypocritical person around.

15. Over there, maybe. Guy Ritchie was quite the celeb over here before his dalliances with Madge. Snatch and Lock, Stock.... were really successful here, and he got famous off the back of those.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Forced. Like a constipated turd.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    As fake as anything.

18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Is Pam Anderson's chest fake? :rolleyes:

I mean, is there anyone who thinks Madonna has a real English accent? :eyebrow:

19. i have noidea i think its the carrots

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

It's fake since she's not from there but one can pick up inflections from their surroundings if there long enough. There quite a lot of Zeligs in this world!