1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is marcus millers new album good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by brutal bassist, Sep 20, 2008.

1. be honest, dont just say anything he puts out is great, tell me how it truly is

2. millerfreak

millerfreak

Jun 29, 2008
    It is recommended if you're building up your groove and especially playing notes with slapping.. its good.

3. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    Are we talking about the Marcus album, or has he done another one? I liked Marcus, though there was a bit too much vocal and hip-hop type stuff. Other than that, it was great.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dunno. Are you into Marcus? If not, I don't recommend you get something that doesn't float your boat! I have the cd and dig it. But I dig Marcus.

5. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I really believe that the music of any great artist is at least worth listening to, whether you buy it or not, love it, hate it, whatever. No matter what, it is always a teaching/learning experience. I can't stand thinking about how many records I've never heard that I would love, or the many records that I love that I came just this close to missing out on.

Marcus is one of the finest musicians/bassists of our time, and he spent a long time and a lot of effort making this record. Why not give it a spin? Check out his version of What is Hip? on Marcus; pretty cool.

6. mwhite89

mwhite89

Apr 3, 2005
    Gore, Oklahoma
    Hi,
    It is a very good joint ( a little hip-hop lingo). I do not like super fast mindless slap. That is the reason I like Marcus and particularly this cd. I love the way he has started to cover well known songs with his unique slap style. I am not a fan of hip-hop, but with the Marcus touch, and technique I even like those on this album.
    Maurice :bassist:

7. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Good info above. Personally, I'll buy anything with Marcus on it. His touch on the instrument is always an inspiration to me. Even when he's doing some "because I can" action, I dig the groove and soul underneath the notes. Also, the cats on his albums are just terrific players who really speak well on the tunes.

All that said, I was hoping for a little more grease and Marcus nastiness on the 'What is Hip' cover. :D Speaking of covers...any Stevie Wonder tune covered by Marcus is worth a listen...

8. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    It's a great CD... and not just because I dig Marcus either.

9. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    fantastic album, i'd recommend to any music listener:)

10. what's it called?

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
  12. thanks

13. i heard that theres a little bit of hip hop, so im not getting it, thanks for the help

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    What's up, are you hip hop phobic? You get a rash or something when you listen to anything you think is hip hop?

15. yes.

16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    There is medical help for that and you are not alone.