1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Markbass a respected rig in rock music?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by viktorix, Sep 3, 2018.

1. viktorix

viktorix

Aug 14, 2018
    I see Markbass as producer of high-end bass gear with their well-reviewed amplifications and faithful users. I have played a few, quite large gigs with a 2x12 and the Little Mark III top, and I must say it's really loud and full of punch- no need for monitor. I'm not an owner myself, but considering buying a similar rig, due to its loudness, sound and light weight. However, my question is- “Is Markbass a respected brand in rock music?” I see very few in the music industry, and especially in the rock and metal genre. Why is that?

armyadarkness likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  3. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    True, it's not very typically found on rock stages, but that doesn't mean it's bad in any way!

If anything, I'm afraid the orange apparently yellow color might be its biggest reason more rock people don't use it. Also, lightweight, smart and small is not exactly how rock and roll goes... But you know... being a rebel can mean a lot of different things :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  4. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I see Markbass equipment mostly in modern cover bands. Classic rock band bassists stick to other brands (Peavey, Eden, Ampeg, GK...). If went back to owning MB rig, I would use it in any musical genre. Having said that, I like MB amps, combos and cabs - not so much.

5. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I use MB for everything(no choice-it's all I've got) and I play with a very loud rock band. In the rehearsal room we use there is a big Ampeg rig. After playing about with my Mojo mojo drive pedal I got the MB to get very close to the Ampeg sound without pushing the gain. I think Internet Alias has a good point about the look as the rockers are very image conscious. I'm not.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    dBChad and viktorix like this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi viktorix :)

They are yellow! :crying:

Yellow is not "Orange" enough for some! :laugh:

Wise(b)ass

7. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I am sorry, fine sir, but according to every ex girlfriend of mine, I am color-challenged (despite not actually having any sort of a disability, I hope) :D

Wisebass likes this.
  8. Just the fact you're worried about it tells me you should not. Personally, I do not take kindly to being told what amps to use. I will, take input on what bass to use for a particular project,
    i.e. A precision bass for a roots style or a 5 string fretless for a fusion style. But in reality that hasn't happened in over ten years.

I happen to not care for the their amps and cabs. And I hate the yellow Spkrs as well.

patrickj likes this.
  9. viktorix

viktorix

Aug 14, 2018
    I'm not worried about being different or in any cases doing what feels right for me, even though it considers being odd. I always follow the sound and feel that I prefer. It’s just by pure curiosity that I wonder why such a recognized brand is such a rare sight in the music industry. I'm nor a big fan of the iconic yellow colour, but it must be more than that?

10. While I think their combos are great for what they are I just pack a Berg112 for little gigs.
    And as to them being a big deal I think worldwide, Ampeg, GK, maybe Aguilar, Mesa and some others would argue that their (MBs') market saturation is negligible.
    In a nutshell by comparison, I think Bergantinos sound Waaay better to my ear.

11. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    When I go to concerts I always like to check out what equipment the band is using. When I saw SAXON I didn't even have to try to see what the bassist was using, those yellow cones stood out like a black eye.

BillMason likes this.
  12. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    That's probably why they chose the yella. I wonder how much it's helped or hurt sales. The color seems to be a love/hate thing here.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think Markbass is most likely used in your garden variety local/regional cover bands, although I don't remember seeing any on stage anywhere. I don't think their gear sucks, but I doubt many pros use it. If you're looking for any kind of status, you won't find it there.

14. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    It’s never let me down.
    Current stuff.
    B19ECFE6-1F22-478F-88BA-BE6BD73FB600.
    Past stuff...
    EA3AE7B1-247E-45A1-9E2A-52AA577F5F2E. 4EBE5558-189A-489E-93B6-1C507B924011. 396D0BDB-602F-42F3-8915-8036239E775A. 336D4967-D210-423E-95B8-62922B52AAEE.

15. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    Can’t wait for the Stryper pic...please...don’t.

16. fretlessbass

fretlessbass Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey Trevor, Finally got to crank that Traveler 123 up a bit on Sat night...you were right...it was awesome! Thanks for encouraging me to purchase it!

17. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    So, so happy for you. It's a great piece of kit but you'll see when you really let it rip. Just finished a holiday in Greece and so looking forward to getting back to it. Happy playing my friend. T

staurosjohn likes this.
  18. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    If you're talking about SAXON's sales, I doubt it mattered at all. They are a huge international act.

If you're talking Markbass' sales, it certainly doesn't hurt. You always have people think they can sound like their heroes if they buy the same equipment.

19. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I used to find it annoying when they came out. By now, it's just another exercise in branding cosmetics, like Kustom, Vox (one grille cloth design for everything for the last 60 years?), Trace Elliot, Orange et al. The shock has worn off many years ago.

Scribbler likes this.
  20. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    Well... I'm in Italy so I see Markbass stuff a lot (from reharsal places to national tv music show).
    Seems to me that lots of endorser are jazz players, but just few days ago I've played in a (mostly) metal club where there was a MB Randy Jackson sig amp and it was killer.
    I'm not a MB fanboy but don't see any problems in using Markbass amps for metal...