Is mesa boogie the new ampeg??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Jul 4, 2005.

1. bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    I've noticed through playing my local michigan area, that alot more people are turning to mesa boogie (powerhouse 1000 in particular) for their bass needs, whereas ampeg used to be the most popular thing (svt810). Now i'm an ampeg man myself but after hearing the great tone people are getting from the mesa stuff I'm starting to wonder if the switch may be in my best interest. Just wonderring if anyone else has noticed this same occurance in their local area.
  2. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    Mesa is high level gear and ampeg is pretty much just upper mid level gear. It really all boils down to preference. Yes you should switch if you like the clear brightness of mesa gear. I know i don't regret buying a Mesa mpulse 360 and 410 for my first rig. I know i will never need to worry about getting anything else.
  3. I'll say it outright. I hate mesa boogie. As an amp builder, Randall Smith (owner of the company) has screwed over so many other people by patenting the very free information that probably taught him the trade and brought him to where he was, screwing over the people who helped him from the start. I'm also not a fan at all as a guitarist of the tone from any of their amps. (though I'd have to say...sometimes it is nice to have a Dual Rect. for some select songs), For their bass's the same problem I have with ultra ultra clean bass stuff...I'd like to hear a bit of my amp through the speakers too (personal preference). Their cabinets are really nice though (granted expensive)...good tone...very solid...very loud :bassist:

Personally...I really like the tone of the old ampeg fliptops (portaflex 100W bass amps). They really had this nice warm tone to them, that put another dimension into your bass playing...and the highs were nice and lively, unlike some of these new amps that are all sterile and ultra clean. My amps've gotta have some character!

4. And you base this opinion on what? Watching TV shows where night after night you see Ampeg bass amps? Going to concerts where bassists use Ampegs? Seeing guys like Dave LaRue, Steve Bailey and Victor Wooten in endorsement ads for Ampeg?

Mesa's got good stuff, no doubt, but Ampeg is the standard by which all other bass amps are judged. So maybe you shouldn't mislead people about their quality.
  5. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I'm pretty hot and cold about Boogie, they have had a few things that I feel have been very good. I've played some of their bass gear and it was ok but I know some folks that have had lots of reliability problems with them, so who knows. Other people have had good reliability.

I've used Ampeg gear, both the SLM and the older 1960's gear. I liked my SLM equipment sound wise (SVP-Pro and SVP 1500 amp) but they were just not reliable enough. I don't think the gear ever had any problems that I could trace to poor design or low quality parts, it was ALWAYS a problem with their building techniques, cold solder joints etc. It's not like anything just stopped working either, it would annoy me with little noises or intermitent problems that were VERY difficult to track down. To be fair over the 7 years that I used their stuff it did work most of the time and it sounded very good, I just wish they would put some more effort into their construction and I think their gear would be excellent..
  6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    None of these things say that Ampeg is a particularly high end brand. If Ampeg is considered top tier equipment, we'll need to make new, higher tiers for Acme, Accugroove, EA, Walter Woods, etc.
  7. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    Chill out dude.

There are plenty of people endorsed by Peavey. Endorsements don't mean ****. :spit: I think we all know that ampeg likes to exaggerate their stats a little bit :bag: but like i said before it basically boils down to PREFERENCE. I didn't mean to make you :bawl:
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My thoughts on Ampeg and Mesa...
    I currently own a Mesa 400+ and its not Hi-Fi at all, nor is most of the other Mesa stuff I have tried. I'm not familiar with Mesa buisness practices, but if they are doing what is described then they should be ashamed. I personally love just about any bass amp or cab Mesa makes, but especially the 400+ and the Powerhouse 1000. As for Ampeg, I would first have to say that the origional SVT is what has defined the rock (and many other genres) bass sound since the 70s. I love the origional SVT with the origional cab. However, I hate just about any modern era Ampeg cab, and believe that they are way overpriced. Some of their newer heads sound good- the CL isn't an origional but it still sounds good to my ears, and the 2-Pro has a great all tube tone. I'm not a fan at all of Ampeg's all SS stuff, but the hybrids sound fairly good.
    Overall, I think Mesa is a step up from Ampeg on building quality and a good few steps up on cab quality, but their heads both sound great, and its just your sound prefrence.
  9. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    IMO Eden, Trace Elliot and Gallien Kruger are better products than either ampeg or mesa. But thats just my opinion.
  10. basslag, no need to be a jerk, dude. You stated an opinion as fact, and I disputed it. And then you offered nothing in the way of proving what you said, just a whiny "Chill out dude," a slightly creative use of emoticons and you dropped the Peavey name like it matters in this discussion. So who's the one :crying: ing now?

As for these other boutique amps mentioned, sorry but I don't get it. Yeah, they're good and well-made, but I don't dig that modern, so-clean-you-can-eat-off-it sound they have. I like a little grit. That's why I used Ampeg nearly all my life, and that's why when I got too old to hoist an SVT around I bought an SWR amp. You're's all about preference, but at least I'm in good company with Dave, Vic and Steve ;)
  11. I never have had the level of sonic control that I get with my M2000 basis, period. I think ampegs are fine, but integrated compression with footswitchable tube/solid state options and footswitchable graphic eq's on each channel = creamy goodness too good to pass up. I've not seen an ampeg with these features.
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    For the record, you didn't prove your point either.
  13. Yeah, I guess the fact that three of the world's greatest bassists who can get endorsed by any amp maker they want and they use Ampeg means nothing against what people on Talkbass think. You're right...Victor Wooten is only an upper mid level bass player and that's why he uses Ampeg.

I couldn't care less what people's preferences are, to be quite honest with you. You don't want to use Ampeg, don't. My only issue with this whole thread is someone saying that Ampeg equipment is second rate compared to Mesa. That's like saying Fender is a second-rate bass maker. You may not like Fenders but there's no denying that world class bassists in all kinds of music use Fenders. Same with Ampeg. And with that I'm out of this discussion. It's getting ridiculous now. I will never be convinced that Ampeg is anything less than world-class no matter what anyone says on here. Hey, I never liked Acoustic amps when they were in business, but Jaco used one, thus making it a world-class amp.
  14. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Meh it's all personal preferance though. We're talking about tone here.

I think Wooten sounds like Mud. I think Les Claypool's old Mesa rig using FOUR 15's was clearer and much better sounding than his Ampeg rig, which also sounds like mud IMO.

Then again, IMO Eden is some of the sweetest sounding stuff. Plus in a Warwick and it's heaven for me.

He says, she says. Different strokes.

So to answer the question.. No. I don't think Mesa is the new Ampeg. I think Ampeg is Ampeg, and Mesa is Mesa. If people want the Ampeg tone, they'l go for it, if they want Mesa's sound, they'l get Mesa. Ya know?
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Do you know the REAL reasons why they're endorsed by Ampeg? Did you ask them? Do you know what money is in the deal etc.?
    There's no way you can find out the real reasons.

Why don't all worldclass players play Ampeg then?

Questions over questions...
  16. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I think the "Ampeg is upper mid range gear" was mostly a price point issue, and that's an accurate assessment. Mesa certainly is more expensive than Ampeg for simillarly featured gear.

Whether its worth it or not is another issue.
  17. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, aparently, according to local Ampeg authorities. People arn't payed to play Ampeg. Or at least no more than anyone else... either one.
  18. I know why Dave LaRue uses Ampeg as I know him quite well and we hung out a lot when he was considering switching to Ampeg when Tube Works went OOB. He uses Ampeg because he likes Ampeg. Dave doesn't use gear he doesn't like.

As for your second question, come on, dude. That's just silly.

BTW, Popinfresh, I happen to think that both Les and Vic sound great with their Ampeg gear and I think the Eden/Warwick combination is the sonic equivalent of an ice pick through the ears. But like you said, different strokes...far be it from me to tell you not to use Eden and Warwick.
  19. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yup, everyones got opinions. I think it's great people have such great sonic tastes.. Be pretty boring if we all played the same thing.
  20. Someone actually making sense in this thread

Who here actually goes out and buys an amp because of its price range, or if its an upper mid or whatever other pish you lot are babbling, you buy an amp for its sound, power and reliability (and weight for you older ones), as for mesa being the new ampeg? its all down to preference in sound, they are completelly different sounding amplifiers, and thats fine there will always be people who like either or

And as for that stab at peavey gear, its ****ing good quality gear for the price, and it sounds good imho, you just dont get the colouration of an ampeg or mesa