1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Microsoft coming out with a new OS soon...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 12, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...or should I buy XP at the local Uni for $75 while I still can?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    But...$75!:(

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Buy it. Early adopters are crazy, IMO.

5. true...on the release date Windows Vista will most likely just be Windows XP, now added more bugs!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, Windows Vista looks interesting, but I figure it will be more difficult for the experienced user to work efficiently.

Yo won't be seeing me switch to Vista until at least mid-2008. I used Win2K up until 2005 when I finally switched to XP. Finally un-buggy enough for my own use.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    True - it's like buying a car when they come out with a totally new model or a model revamp. The first year is usually rushed to the release date with known errors or bugs that become "rolling changes" once they're fixed. With Windows it's that x a billion.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'll grab a copy through work first, run it for a while, test software etc before making any critical switches. It will probably be fine, but EVERY first copy of something needs tweaks.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I just hope I have better luck with that and my new car. Getting an 07 HHR this summer. One of the first of the 2nd model year.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I had the chance to work on some of the applications for Vista several months ago when I worked for MS. January 2007 sounds reasonably, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is pushed back. I have a couple beta copies that I am still using. Cool stuff.

-Mike

11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    No kidding!* :D

GIuseppe%20Cesari%20Called%20Cavaliere%20arpino-293352.

*Note: Yes, there's a wiener in the picture. It's Adam and Eve. No big deal.

12. omg weiner lulz

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The American version of that picture would have the man covering up, and the woman bearing it all as she helplessly runs away. :D

-Mike

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No.

It actually looks pretty cool with a lot of neat features. It will also be better for gaming than previous versions of Windows.

bc

15. What about Windows X64? I remember before it came out there was a lot of talk about it.

Is anyone using it? My guess it that there are no practical uses for it yet with the lack of 64 bit applications.

Just wondering if a 64 bit processor with widows X64 runs 32 bit applications any better.

16. That's essentially what Vista is, just wanted a more marketable name. That being said, if you get Vista, make sure your system can handle it, it's a hog. My school got the beta and the PC it's on has a low end AMD64 CPU and it can barely run it.

17. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
  18. well brian eno did the windows 95 intro, it only makes sense :D

19. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    True.

20. BigKahuna13

BigKahuna13

Nov 21, 2004
    LI New York
    Do you need an OS now? If so it makes no sense to wait for Vista.

Can also go the Linux route. For general web browsing kinds of things, both Fedora and SUSE Linux work nicely.