1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Modulus still in Business?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I just tried to reach Anderson Page, reception, shipping, etc., and their phone lines are disconnected.

They have had one of my guitars for almost 4 months and were updating me kinda regularly (usually a month after they promised), but I have had zero correspondence in almost a month.

I live thousands of miles from Modulus and they have my bass.... I am very concerned.

Anyone have additional insight?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    In another thread, someone said he'd heard a rumor that Modulus stopped production. :confused:

BUMP for more info!

3. Baird6869

Saw that.

I am in telecom and either their phone system is broken or they have a hosted solution that has been disconnected except for the auto attendant.

Not good.

4. It would be hard to believe and I really doubt it. They just brought back the TBX version.

But to add fuel to the rumor, Oteil just posted on FB that he was using a new bass built by the guy from modulus who designed the TBX.

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Were they at NAMM?

6. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    Hi.. I heard that modulus has stopped production too.. Also the Anderson paige name...before him the rep was Paige Anderson lol go figure..i asked him if that was his real name and he said yes ...

Feel bad for all u guys that have orders in.. Modulus was never good at customer service unless u were a pro..

Thanks,
    Bill

7. I don't know why they would stop production. You think the profitable thing to do would be to sell the business. If they stopped production that would be only cause. That name is way to valuable not to sell it. If they sold it, production will continue at some point.

8. alexgeddy

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    I think over the years from music stores in the area, Modulus thought they had everybody by the balls and charged way to much for their basses.. So stores stopped buying them plus their lousy customer service... i asked them to fix a ding in a neck and they told me to go pound sand ..but they would sell me a new neck for 700....if Modulus went under it is their own fault!!

Bill

9. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    They don't have anything of mine but that's make my blood pressure rise

10. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    I remember a time when their customer service was pretty good actually..

When I first bought my old Modulus Flea4, i was in CA on a trip.. A couple days later I lost my wallet and keys to the case. I was under 18 so my ID wasnt an issue flying but I was paranoid about not being able to lock my new bass during check in. I called modulus and they shipped me the keys ASAP! I got the keys before my flight back to Hawaii. I also emailed them a few months later wondering about getting a refinish to the neck(no issues, just for reference since no place on Maui I wild trust) they responded back quickly... This was over 10years ago... Flash back to a few ears ago... I've tried contacting about something(forgot exactly what..) but got absolutely no response.

I didn't see them at NAMM.. Last time I saw them was NAMM 2011 and Bass Player Live

11. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen Banned

Dec 25, 2012
    Might be best to let it play out & find the facts. Don't recall them at NAMM (ever!) but that means zilch- Lots of builders don't feel the need/expense to be there.
    They have quite a few basses out in the stores, inc. GC.
    Strange to think they would stop.
    I hope everyone with an issue gets satisfaction. I miss having my Orange Flake FU4.

12. alexgeddy

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    Not any more

13. The Modulus website is still up, but that doesn't mean much at this point. If the website goes down that's a pretty good indication that they are gone.

That would be sad news. I have a 1992 Q5 that has been a joy to play.

Rick B.

14. cjp3044

cjp3044

Oct 10, 2008
    Clovis, CA
    A friend of mine (is(was) a Modulus endorser) just told me "no comment" when I mentioned that there is rumor Modulus is gone.

15. Wow, hope not especially for the benefit of the OP, but frankly it wouldn't surprise me too much. It's tough out there these days, with all the 'boutique' brands now competing for our dollars. This board is ablaze with MTD, Roscoe, Dingwall, Sadowsky, Lakland, Fodera, Alleva-Coppolo, Ritter, Warwick etc.....you just don't hear much buzz about the 'old school' brands like Pedulla, Modulus, Alembic etc.....
    Not sure why not(lack of innovation/marketing?)..I don't know. But those brands certainly have MUCH more competition than they did when they appeared.

16. cjp3044

cjp3044

Oct 10, 2008
    Clovis, CA
    To the OP - I live about 2.5 hours away from there - if there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I would hate to hear that you had lost one of your guitars over something like this.

17. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Brent that sucks, if they are closing or liquidating it may be a while but I'm sure you'll get your bass back.

18. Baird6869

PMed!

Thanks!

Thx.

Just a complete P.I.T.A.!

19. If this is true I might need to buy a new Modulus before its too late.

That said, their communication has always sucked. But the guys that answer emails and phones are the same guys building the basses.

20. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Just imagine how bad-ass Mike Gordon would sound if he wasn't picking a Modulus! Imagine the tone if he was rocking a Roscoe -- like a boss!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.