1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Mothership Connection the best funk album of all time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tupac, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Parliament and Funkadelic are the kings of funk in my opinion, but they have a nasty tendency to put loads of filler tracks on their albums. IE, Standing on the Verge of Getting It On only had two tracks that were even listenable (Jimmy's Got a Little Bit of B**** in Him... seriously??). I noticed this trend with quite a bit of funk classics as well (I'm looking at you James Brown).

Mothership Connection on the other hand is just one of those front to back masterpieces. Every time I listen all the way through it I notice something I never heard before. Every bassline is just killer too. Judging by the tone it seems like it's all Bootsy.

Anyone agree?

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    No question

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    debate-able,... but yes!;)

*QFT!!!

4. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Just listening to it today. Brings a smile to the face from the opening track.

5. Tupac, I respectfully disagree with you about Standing on the Verge. That's actually my favorite Funkadelic album. The guitar playing on "Red Hot Mama" is pretty much enough right there. The track as well as "Sexy Ways" are both amazing. And yes, I do like "Jimmy's Got a Little Bit of Bitch In Him"; It's great example of one of Clinton's more Zappa-esque moments. Part of what sets Parliament/Funkadelic above most other so-called funk bands out there is that they had a lot more to them than just endless party jams IMHO.

That being said, I agree that Mothership is a back to back classic.

Sly did some pretty epic funk records, too. There's a Riot Going On and Fresh are both 4 or 5 star albums.

The Meters Look-a-Py-Py is pretty incredible, too. It's like the A-B-C's of music right there.

6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    For funk I'll take any number of other artists over Parliament any day: James Brown, Kool & The Gang, Ohio Players, Earth, Wind & Fire, Chuck Brown, The Meters...

One of my favourite funk albums is still Don Blackman's first album.

7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Mothership Connection and P-Funk All Stars Live at the Beverly Theatre.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Since time continues to march it would be IMO premature to call anything the best of all time.