Is my 15" dead?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silvermaneZ, May 23, 2002.

1. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Ok, I searched the forum, and could not find what I was looking for, so I have to ask.

I have a circa 1994 Carvin 115 and 210 that have been mothballed for about the last year since I got my Henry. I pulled them back out tonight just to plug everything in and get stupid. The 210 worked fine, but I got nothing out of the 115.

Started diagnosing the problem. The parallel output worked running the 210, so I was getting signal into the input jack. Took the whole cab apart, and there is no physical damage, like wires loose or the such. I took a 10 out of the other cab, and plugged it into the leads from the 15 cab, and it worked. Plugged the 15 into the leads from the 210 cab, and no sound. So, my assumption is that the 15" is dead. Is that possible with it sitting for a year doing nothing, and no visible damage to it?
  2. I can't splain it either Lucy, but stranger things have happened. Who knows, maybe the voice coil was devoured by speaker eating termites. Look at the bright side, it wasn't an expensive speaker to begin with and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to replace.
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ya it is possible
    i have a new carvin replacement 15
    for sale in box
    it is 4 ohms thou. 600 watt power handling!

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Check for corrosion of wire or terminal at the 15's input terminals.

Have you checked the DC resistance with an ohmmeter?
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    is there a pulse? any light breathing? if not... you got a dead speaker.. nothing you can do.. i'm sorry....

I'm stumped as to what the problem might be... i've never had a speaker die on me before..
  6. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    No corrosion that I can see, and I will have to wait until next week to get access to an ohmmeter. But I think it is the speaker since I plugged it into two different input jacks, and it did not work with either one, where as a 10" worked with both. Carvin go boom!
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    By corrosion at the connection, I was referring to the actual point where the wiring (from the jacks) meets the speaker itself. I don't know whether Eminence (who makes Carvin's speakers) used solder/quick connect or spring loaded terminals on their speakers.

If it's the spring loaded type, wiggle the connection or better yet, take the wire out and look for "stuff" on it that does't look like wire.

Good luck!!!!
  8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    You dont even need an ohm meter.
    Just use a 9 volt battery.
    No "Pop"=Dead speaker (or connections).