1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is my action high ,ok or low ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wishforbass, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    I'm setting up bridge for action ,
    I don't know it's high or its just ok ?
    I add pics so u can see

Attached Files:

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Yes.

Proper action is a matter of playing style and personal preference. So what you have may be OK, or it may be high or low.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Just going by your pics (obviously), the strings look a little high at the bridge end. Can you lower the bridge saddles without getting fret buzz?

4. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    How does the first fret feel? Does it take a lot of pressure to fret it?
    It looks to my eye like your nut could stand to be filed down a little bit. That will of course lower the overall action.

wishforbass likes this.
  5. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Because my previous action that was high from beginning of my playing ,it's natrual to Me. It doesn't take much pressure .

Son of Wobble likes this.
  6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Very well, then, perhaps you don't want to touch the nut.

Have you adjusted the truss rod? Try holding your bass up and site down the neck like you are looking along the barrel of the gun.
    If you see a lot of curve, then you have latitude to try and tighten the inner rod to make the board flatter. This, too, will make for a flatter action.

The only other element to consider is the bridge. I would look at that last, and lower the saddles as low as they can go without buzz. After that, you move them forward or backward to set the intonation. If the note is flat at the 12th fret octave, move the saddle forward; if the note is sharp, move it back.

And if it all feels good enough to you to begin with, don't bother changing it at all. As said above, there is no "right" or "wrong" setup, provided the bass can be intonated, of course.

wishforbass likes this.
  7. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    It looks high to me. Try to get it down to 2-3mm at the most.

8. If it feels good to you as it is in the photos, that's all that matters. It's an individual choice, there really is no 'right' answer.

If you want to adjust it, there's lots of how-to's in this part of TB.

9. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    The other thing to keep in mind... it's 100% cost free and you can always just go back.

10. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    You probably want to get all of them the same distance above the radius of the fret board - It looks like your E is way way higher than your G. Unless you just like it that way. Oops, just looked at your avatar. Make that your B.

11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    For 21 fret bass guitar , I recommend start with .010~.012 neck relief on 12th fret , Action from 2mm on G to 2.4mm on E at 17th fret.
    Fine tune it to meet your personal playing style.
    After that, adjust the pickup height to balance output volume. Done.

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    You should be measuring relief around the 6th fret, mid span between the nut and body joint, not the 12th.

Yahboy likes this.
  13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Sorry, my bad, it should be fret 7th for 21 fret bass guitar and fret 8th for 24 fret bass guitar.

14. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Way too high for this guy.

15. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Turnaround is correct. "Right" is what makes you happy. What you like may irritate the Bejeezus out of me - but it ain't my bass. Starting with "Factory correct" specs can be a good way to see (and document for future reference) how much up or down from there makes the bass right for you; or, you can just wing it. What ever you choose is perfectly fine. That pickup, though, definitely looks like it needs to come down a little - if it's really as close to the strings as it looks in the picture...:thumbsup: