Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is my action low or high?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 555, Jun 17, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    from the 14th fret to the bottom of my strings (on the bass side) it measures 1/4 of an inch... is this considered to be an high action or low action?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Measure it from the 12th fret, usually is the common place people do it.But id say thats close to normal. Medium probably. I prefer mine to be 3/16 of an inch at the 12th fret.

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I wouldn't worry too much about if it's low or high. I guess the question is how do you like it?

Some guys who play with a light tough would think that's a mile high while guys who really dig in would think it's too low.

I have mine at 3/32. I tend to play with a fairly light touch.

4. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    I like to have it low without any fret clicks but i guess i can't do that on my bass so low action with no clicks is out of the question :(

5. callofthebow

callofthebow

Oct 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    have you tried lowering your pickups a little as well?

6. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    The strings are not hitting against the pickup, it's hitting against the frets whenever i put my bass on low action. The height i have now is the lowest i can go without hardly any clicks, will only click click click if i play hard.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Define 'fret clicks'..is it fret buzz?

8. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    no no its not fret buzz.. fret clicks when i play and the strings tap against the frets ala fieldy sound from korn which i dont want.

9. That's more of a technique situation then a setup problem. You need to press harder with your freting hand, develope more strength, practice, practice.........you'll get it!

Low action requires a soft, light, touch and if you dig in to hard you'll get clicking noises, the strings hit the frets to hard as you finger the notes.

Ask this question in the technique forum and see what they have to say!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    I guess i need to keep playing to improve my technique... thanks all!

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. A year ago, Dave Siff was fondling my then ATK, and said "Dang, you'd never bottom out with action like this. Pretty high, bud." Meanwhile, I'd been meaning to raise it, since it was a little low for my tastes.

To each his own.