1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is my active bass eq clipping?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Swift713, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I've got a 5 string stingray copy(OLP Tony Levin :hyper: ) with active 3 band and it seems to be clipping when I play hard. :bassist: I don't have much experience with either the active or the low b string but I just started noticing this pretty recently. I use the active input on my amp and it still does it. Am I just being stupid and need to lighten up on the b string or is my bass messed up?:confused: Oh, yes, I did think to check the battery. It's like just a week or two ago I suddenly noticed this weird clipping when I play hard on the lower strings. :(

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    It's possible to overdrive your preamp, but highly unlikely this is the case. When you're digging in on the low strings, are the strings hitting the pole pieces in the pickup? That's a much more likely culprit.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try lowering your pickups a bit and maybe lighten your touch on the B string. See if that cleans the sound up a bit for you.

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Thanks, I tried lowering the pickup it helped a little. I think I mostly need to adjust my playing unless there is something wrong with the bass' preamp. If anyone knows anything about that possibility please let me know. I do eventually want to get my bass shielded so if the preamp needs some work it could happen then.

5. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I have this problem as well, on my active jazz, but it's alright, since I like the sound, for some weird reason. I'm strange. Just lighten your touch just a tad :p