Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my amp large enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Ok I have my first gig as a basist coming up in march. It is going to be in a fairly largw room. about 800 people from what i am hearing. I am using a hartke HA7000 wich is 350 watts at 4 ohms times 2. I only have one cab wich is a Carvin 1x18 is this going to be enough without PA support? From what i know the place will probably be packed with at least 800 people and i am concerned about them eating up all of my sound. I am playing with 3 guitarists and they are all running between 50 and 100 watts each. and get a little crank happy on the volume knob and a drumer who is moderately loud. I am saving to get a new bas for thios gig and just realised i may be baetter suited trying to get a 2x10 or 4x10 cab instead.... any suggestions for a 4 ohm cab that can handle around 400 watts or more that is in the 400-1000 dollar price range? or should I get the bass and be fine with my 350 wats into a 1x18?

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Personally, I'd add a cab instead of getting a new bass.

3. oh yeah I forgot to mention the accoustics of the room are a bit unusual.. the ceiling is really high and sound bounces off of it tremedously.. I went to a show there last friday and the vocals come through the house pa and out speakers on the ceiling and i thought that the drums bass and guitar were as well because you could hear it coming from the ceiling but they werent the stage sound was just reflecting off of the ceiling.

4. heelflip86

heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    at www.speakerhole.com you can get a 4x10 pushing 1600 watts for 179? that might be good, well atleast for the price

5. You're probably going to want another cab. I would suggest a 2x12 from Eden.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I would say you definatly need another cab. And I would be very skeptical of the speakerhole rig. If you have up to 1000 bucks to spend you should be able to a nice 4x10.

7. I'd bet that you heard the whole band through the PA in a room big enough to hold 800 people. The next time you go see a show there take a look around and ask the staff some questions about the house sound system. If you have PA support your amp will be fine as a stage monitor. If there's no PA support buy another cab or rent a larger rig.

Just don't forget to have fun!

8. well i was talking to them at the last show. one band all that was running through the PA was vocals and ou could definately ear him from the ceiling speakers quite clear. the second band miked up their amps and it really muddied up te vocals. Plus then we couldnt hear the vocals hardly at all... It is at a college and none of the students running it raly knew to much but we are alloted 8 mics to use and 4 of wich wil be used for vocals if we pa the bass and possiby the guitars i believe it will be to muddy and quite as far as vocals go. an Idea of what other bands were doing a 4 piece band 2 uitars bas and drums used I believe it was a 200 watt amp and could be heard with out pa of course they werent cranking like ai m afraid y guitarist are going to do... My one guitarist played a talent show their a couple of months ago and said he had his 80 watt fender amop set to 3 to fill the place. It seems to have and auditoriums acoustic scheme.

9. Get another cab if that's the case. Better to have too much than not enough.

10. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    See if you can't borrow someone elses 4x10. That should be plenty loud for ya.

ZoomBoy:

Love that bass!

11. Thanks...I'm quite fond of it myself! :D

12. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
  13. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Duuuuude! You are going to get soooo burried, soooo fast. You need speakers. Any place around you that rents?

14. welll after some moe calculations i believe i will be able to add a cab and get a bass so all should be good.. I hope :) I was looking at a ampeg 2x10 today anyone play throughone of these? how are they?

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Plug into the PA.

16. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i believe the whole reason he posted was because he can't plug into the PA

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Well, first I say you stop posting messages that are so redundant. Next, I say you get at least a 2x10, or another 18".

18. I am sorry about posting to many similar posts. Second I just added a Genz Benz XB 2-10 so now i believe ill have plenty of volume with 700 watts pushing 2-10s and an 18