Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is my amp too powerful for my speaker??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stu28, Sep 8, 2005.

1. stu28

stu28

Sep 8, 2005
    i have recently bought a behringer BX4500H amp head. it's 450w and has a min load of 4ohms. i want to run it through an old 18" speaker cab that i have. it's an acoustic 301 transducer (very old i know). i've had it for awhile now and really don't want to part with it (i like the sound, and funds are tight). i've always played an old yamaha amp through it, that i got off my mate years ago. that's 250w with min load of 4ohms. i've just found out that my speaker has an impedance of 3ohms, but no idea what kind of max power it can handle.
    my new amp worked for a bit, then just started buzzing when i switch it on. i thought i'd wrecked my speaker, but testing it with the old amp, it's fine. I'm clueless when it comes to power ratings, impedance, etc. what can i do? do i have to send my amp back? or is there a way of making it work with my cab?

2. Technically 3 ohms is too low for your amp but impedance fluctuates according to frequency so this might be a more honest spec than what we are used to seeing these days. I would send the amp back for a warantee service and try it again. If that doesn't work send it back again and tell them you want to exchange for a different amp (or your money back).

DON'T tell them about your 3 ohm cab! This will give the fat cats an excuse to not help you (and they should).

3. Have you checked the speaker with a ohm meter? Is there a power rating on the back of the cone?

4. HIJACK

is the BX4500H head tube or SS?

5. stu28

stu28

Sep 8, 2005
    there's no rating on the cone for the power. i don't think it's tube. as i said i'm a bit clueless to these things. other amps have worked through it in the past, so i figured this one would.

6. stu28

stu28

Sep 8, 2005
    i've checked with an ohm meter too. that's reading around 3.

7. That's typical of a 4 ohm cab.

8. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    The Behringer head shouldn't hurt the speaker as long as you don't run it continually in clipping. The Acoustic amp for that speaker was rated at 300 watts.
    The buzzing has nothing to do with the speaker.
    Good luck getting the Behriner amp fixed, i've heard nothing good about their service.

9. stu28

stu28

Sep 8, 2005
    thanks for all the advice. think i'll send it back and get it checked over, or get my money back!