1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is my apartment structurally sound?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    So i live in a pretty old 3 flat apartment building in chicago. Its probably over 100 years old. For one, part of the building is leaning; for example i can sit in one end of my room in a rolling chair, and roll to the other. Pretty much everything is at a slight angle. Im not too worried about this, but one thing that is making me a bit nervous about the safety of this flat, is that when buses drive by, or a strong wind blows, i can feel the apartment sway. Is that okay, or should i blow the whistle for an inspector to come take a look?

2. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Once it starts to lean a bit more, you could make it a tourist attraction?

3. I'd be a little suspicious if I could feel my apartment move during a strong wind.

4. beatlesfan64

beatlesfan64

Apr 11, 2010
    moving during a strong wind? I could never sleep at night....call the inspector...

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I would. Just image what construction safety standards might have been like 100 years ago.

Perhaps some research on the building would be in order. City hall archives and/or local newspapers should have some info.

6. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Leaning is not necessarily bad; the lean could have happened in the first 10 years and it hasn't moved in the last 90. However, 3 story buildings shouldn't shake or sway.

7. It sounds like your flat is not very... well.... flat!

8. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Just pile all your stuff on one side of the flat... that should do it. There's a 3x3 foot spot on the floor in mine that sags and its marked off with green duct tape.

9. I didn't know the windy city was THIS windy!

10. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Depends on whether you want to move out or not.

You do have renter's insurance, right?

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Swaying in the wind? My apartment floors lean in every direction, no room is completely level, but I've never heard of a third floor swaying in a strong breeze. I'd be worried. Check into the building design/history if at all possible, you may be surprised at what you find. My moms house has a real bad lean, turns out the front half of the house was originally a garage built in the 1940-1950s for the house in front of hers and was later added onto to be a house for the guys daughter. The front half leans into the back half. Kind of funny.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I wouldn't worry, it's not like there are a lot of trains around Chicago or that is ever gets windy there. And I know there has never been local political corruption, so I'm sure that there is no way the building inspector got paid to look the other way when they laid the balsa wood foundation a hundred years ago. Plus most Balsa wood foundations are good for one hundred and three years (with a margin of error of about three years). You should be fine as long as you wear an apartment helmet when you sleep.:D
    :bag:

13. High up, leaning a bit and moves in the wind?

Do you live in a tree? :bag:

If you are worried about it then get it checked out.

Just because it's old doesn't mean bad. Heck, most of the buildings built over a hundred years ago seem to be of a better build quality that modern houses! (and definately better than the trash that was generally being built in the 60's and 70's).

The house I grew up in was well something like over 180 years old. Now I'm living in an older tennament that is at least 100+ years old too. Tho, it does have a bit of rumble when a bus or lorry goes past (3rd floor here aswell).

Maybe it's just the scottish build quality, heck, we built a castle on a volcano, 800-900 years ago, primarily to **** with the english and it's still standing :bassist: :D

14. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

how crap !
    screw calling the inspector , i'd just move out !!
    a three story building should not be leaning ...

also , no pictures , no leaning building .
    :ninja:

:D

15. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    My floor rattles when certain busses drive by. Once a stack of dishes collapsed because of that..

I will be moving out soon, and the rattling has played a very largze role in that decision.

16. tons of those here.....the city is built on clay and the great flood of 1950 shifted a lot of houses......they've been sitting that way for sixty years now......if you see something change you may have a problem

17. [​IMG]

:p

18. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    [​IMG]

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    LMAO. :D