Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is My B100-R Going to Drowned Out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harpo61, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I am starting a new band with a loud guitar player Using a Peavy 5150 stack we are playing heavy Blues and I afraid my little Ampeg is going to drowned out in a band setting.I love the Amgeg sound but I need some thing that is going to be light weight but powerful since I have a bad back . And my budget is $1000

2. Hehe... I have 1 grand... buy me a loud rig. That's EZ!

But why spend money when you can just strangle the guitarist until he listens to your advice to turn down?

Alright, the guitarist will easily have the ability to completely SMOKE you. However, I do believe your B100-R thingy will be able to hold up with him... if he keeps his sound in check. Also, make sure you down add too much of the low lows, as they rob you of watts easily. 200 Hz I think is the cuthrough low mids that'll need some boosting.

For 1 grand, a 4x10 or 2x10 with a 1x15 and a decent watted head is super easy to score.

Good luck!

3. The head will drive the schroeder 1210, which is the cab of choice on this forum. And the only reason I am saying that is that I know you are going to get flooded with recommendations for that cab. You and I are the only ones on this forum who don't have one. But I do not know how much longer I can hold off.

Does the amp have a preamp output besides the DI? If so, you would get some options to increase volume without changing your sound.

Interestingly, flite sound is selling a similiar rig and claims you don't need any more volume, just good sound reinforcement. I may try this thing. At $1,000 it is cheaper than the ampeg. http://www.flitesound.com/products/default.asp?view=display&pid=34&type=5

4. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    Man I like that Flite Rig has any one played through one yet.

As far as my B100-R goes I have Jammed with Guitar Player a few times but we have not played in a band setting yet . I do
    love the tone of the Ampeg and It has worked in Band Setting before with out to much problem . In fact I liked it Better the the GK RB700 and Music Man Audiophile 2x12 Rig I used to have

5. Maybe an extension cab is the way to go?

Something small though, like a 2x10 or a 1x12.

6. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    The Ampeg does not have a output for a 2nd speaker . I will see what kind of PA I will be playing through first.

7. PRE/POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. If you like you tone the way it is you could just add a power amp and a cab. Maybe a 4x10 or a 2x12 depending on what you like.

9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I had the same problem. Loved my b100-r, but had two guitarists with halkstacks and an overzealous drummer. People keep saying extension cab, but your amp wont support one too well. i ended up buying an Ampeg 610HLF and an SVT350-H. Kept the tone i love, witht the volume that i needed. Plus, the b100r makes a great practice amp

10. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I went the pre/power amp for a while. I put them into a 6 space rack case with a compressor and wireless unit. I was a pretty sweet rig. But it was HEAVY. I sold it all off and got a GK700RB and 2 Avatar CB112s. The cabs are about 45 lbs. each, and the head is 18 lbs. As an older player, I really appreciate the portability. If I had more $$, I probably would have opted for the GK1000RB-- it still only weighs about 18 lbs and puts out 540 watts @ 4 ohms.

11. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    The B100R has a unbalanced line-out feature. If you wanted more power, you could hire a separate power amp and cab.

Very versitile setup.

P Bass -> SVTDI -> B100R Line-out -> Power Amp -> 4X10