1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is My Bass Eating Batteries?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by QU!CK, Apr 19, 2010.

1. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I've got a project bass that I installed a set of Ken Smith pups and Aguilar OBP-3 preamp in. Thus far I've been running the bass on a single 9v battery and it's been eating batteries VERY quickly.
    I also think the battery is being drained somehow even when the cord isn't plugged in. I've tried putting a new battery in the bass and leaving it over night and within 2 days (whether I play or not) the battery is dead.

Any idea's on what the problem could be or how I can fix this?

Thanks,
    -J

2. Have you installed it using a stereo jack plug, so that when there isnt a jack plugged in, the circuit to the preamp is open? If you haven't, it'll keep draining power, even if nothing is plugged in.

3. If you are having to change the batteries every two days, there is definitely an issue somewhere!
    You should be able to get at least 6 months from a battery before it dies.

If the battery is draining down when the bass is unplugged, that would indicate that the negative terminal of the battery is getting grounded all the time. Did you wire the output jack correctly?

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Stereo output jacks ftw.

5. I have an OBP-3 and batteries last a long time... suspect wiring, I'd say.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    My Korean Fender Jazz Bass eats batteries and I never leave one in it even with the cord not connected. I can live with it. I use the same batteries that I put in my Pocket Rocket and the same charger.

7. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    As all have stated there is a very simple solution to this problem. This is where a simple continuity tester or a digital multimeter could come in handy. There should be a 3 connection(stereo) jack in your bass. One connection should be the hot (+) from the preamp or vol. The other should be going straight to the neg battery terminal and the other to the ground of the preamp. With your bass wired this way unless your jack is faulty(which i have experienced) there is no way your bass can drain unless there is a plug in your bass because the circuit is incomplete.

I know there are some or at least one that wires everything to the preamp board and does all the switching from there so just check to see what you have.

8. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Here's an example

[​IMG]

9. I made this mistake in the past and my bass ate batteries til I swapped the connects and now it's fine just recheck the wiring, as far as I know there's only 2 combinations which result in sound, one won't eat batteries, one will however I may be wrong about that

10. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm going to open the bass up this evening and double check the wiring and jack. Thanks for the ideas and I'll keep you guys posted on what I'm able to find.

-J