Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my bass truly crap???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pyr0Punk, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Pyr0Punk

Pyr0Punk

Apr 3, 2001
    Cardiff, Wales
    I have a Honher Rockwood LX90B, and having not seen one on sale anywhere, I havent got a clue what someone with experience would think of it. Its basically a P-bass copy, and I personally think its quite nice, although the electrics are decidedly dodgy.
    It is my first Bass, so it was ok 4 me 2 start on, so can someone give me a clue? :confused:

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pyr0, I'll let you in on something it takes some folks years to figure out.

If "you" like it... it's not crap.

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    That's so right. As long as you are happy with it, and with its sound, don't listen to other people tell you what you should or should not like.

4. What the other two have said is right, so long as the bass feels right for you, sounds right for you, and you get the right sound for the music you play, who cares what anyone else thinks.

5. If the electronics are a bit dodgy, that is only a minor thing, a few minutes with a solder gun by someone who knows what they're doing, and a bit of a setup job (strings, action, neck relief, intonation) will turn it into a joy to play.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree 90%. The only exception is if you have to worry about it falling apart on you, and I doubt that's the case with your bass. :)

7. Is it Danelectro or Rouge? Then it's not crap.

Unless it's a Memphis P-bass. Then it's real crap, and you should burn it. Memphis makes the most horrible guitars. I know, I had one.

Rock on
    Eric

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Hey now! You're makin' fun of two of my children there with the Danelectro comment! :(

;)
    Although, I'll admit, they're not very sturdy...
    But they have a fairly good tone. I recall bassplayer giving them a pretty good review actually. Especially considering their price (the longhorn pro review).

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wait, they suck...so why'd you have one?:)

Yeah yeah, first bass and all that...

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i agree what brad said, but this is definition of crapper guitar, and i read they make a bass version:
    [​IMG]

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's why I bought MacFenders

13. I have a good friend that owns one, and it doesn't sound too bad. Enjoy it....

14. I think Hohners are great for first guitars.

My first bass was truly crap! I bought it for 40 quid - it was desperately neck heavy, but it gave me the chance to try out playing the bass and discover I liked it.

Once I realised I was going to stick at it I bought my 2nd bass - a Hohner Jack Headless. I still have this even though other basses have been bought and sold.

We all aspire to having better basses, or different ones. The main thing is, you have a bass there in your mitts. There's plenty of people gigging with Hohners - don't worry what anyone else says. If it does you for now, that's good enough!

15. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I disagree. You must conform to what society thinks! So burn your bass, get something with a space age body style, detune it, then try to make the strings click alot as you play. Only if you do that will I respect you. Follow the trends, don't be different.

Just kidding:D
    Like everyone else has said as long as you like it it's not bad.

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Wisdom......pure wisdom.