Is my brother very inconsiderate, or am I very anal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Hey guys, just so you know - I'm not ranting about my brother mistreating me this time. No, I'm just actually curious about this. It doesn't actually insult or offend me particularly, but anyway...

Earlier today my brother asked me if I'd listened to any of his Dire Straits MP3s (yes, MP3s illegally downloaded) yet, to which I truthfully responded, "nope."
    Then in passing, as he was leaving the room, my brother said, "You should, they're pretty good. You know a part of why Eric Clapton was so depressed, aside from his son dying of course, was that the lead guy in Dire Straits was so good and he thought, 'crap, I can't survive in this industry much longer, this guy is too good!' Or at least, so they say." it wrong of me to think my brother is being quite inconsiderate and tactless about a very serious and sensitive topic, that being the death of a child and the resulting effect on said child's father?
    I mean, I can understand talking about some things because a person is famous, but to mention so casually and carelessly that someone was very heavily affected by something so trivial as another person's musical ability on top of something serious, and saying it with a tone of voice that makes the death of Mr. Clapton's son seem so...trivial in comparison? IMO that's quite...well, inhumane, I guess. I a horribly anal human being, or is my brother in the wrong here, as I personally feel? Thoughts?
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sounds like he's just trying to illustrate how good some of the music you overlooked is...

IMHO, he hasn't done anything to offend YOUR feelings... I'm sure Eric Clapton has had plenty of time, & put alot of effort into sorting out HIS feelings on the topic of his sons death.

I think you're being far too sensitive.
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    A little bit of both.

Yes your brother was inconsiderate... but hey, you made a thread about it.
  4. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    He's inconsiderate and you're overly sensative.

5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, I'm sure that's what Eric Clapton was thinking :rollno:

It seems like every "guitar hero" (in this case Mark Knopfler) has some urban legend about how an even bigger "guitar hero" said something totally flattering about them and how they're better yadda yadda. I've heard the same kinds of things about Robert Fripp, Phil Keaggy and others but I've never heard any real confirmation in any of those cases.

Ok sorry...this has nothing to do with your question I know that.

brad cook
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If he had said it to Eric Clapton, that would be insensitive and inconsiderate.

You getting all freaked on Eric's behalf says a lot about your family dynamic...
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, your being anal. Wait, was Clapton in the room? If no, your being anal. :)