is my cab blown?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OneKillWonder, Mar 24, 2004.

1. I have an ampeg pro series 4-10 and an ampeg classic 1-15... i started noticing the other day that when i hold out a note on the lower strings (B, E, A) after the note starts to fade... an audible crackling distorted sound can be heard. If it was blown wouldnt it make that sound at the attack of the note? Is it just a wire or something? i love the sound of that cab so its very important i figure out what is wrong. Please help.

2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Does the crackling noise come out of both cabs? Or just one of them?
  3. it is definately the 1-15...i tried different set ups , cables, basses, etc...

its definately the 15
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Might be blown, but COULD possibly be just a loose dust cover over the center of the speaker, makes the same sound. I had that happen to my old Hartke's on a fairly regular bases. $10 fix. Don't assume you need a recone or replacement until you have that checked out first.
  5. hmm confused because...if it were blown... wouldnt it distort when i first hit the note..and not wait till ive held it out before its starts crackling?
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Loose dust cover buzzing does exactly what you describe. Its also possible that the voice coil is slightly out of alignment, but I'd place my bets on the dust cover glue being undone on a small area.
  7. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I think I've got a similar problem to this.. Assuming the dust cover is loose, what's a DIY method for fixing this? How crucial is the dust cover in general, can it be removed yet allow the speaker to function?