1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is my chain in the correct order?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, May 10, 2006.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    Bass-> Boss TU-2-> Dunlop 105Q-> Boss LMB-3-> Boss ODB-3-> MXR M-80-> Hartke Bass Attack-> Boss GEB-7-> Amp

is it in the right order?

thanks in advance,

-Rory

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If it sounds good to you then it's "correct".

Right now I have a wah after a trem which I believe is a faux pas. But I like the way it sounds.

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    There's no "correct" way to put effects. if you like the way it sounds, it's as correct as it gets :)

However, I'd put the distortion before the wah, but that's me.

-Dash

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I'd agree, but make sure you have the setup that sounds best to you. Rotate things around until you get your perfect setup. It looks good, but I can't really tell from a list.

Perhaps the Hartke first?

5. what these guys say is true...if you like it, it's in the correct order, although i'd put the wah after the distortion :)

6. jujube_2a

jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    As it's said above, there's no correct order, but there is classic order:
    octaver > wha (or envellope filters)> compressor > overdrive > eq > modulation (chorus, phaser, tremolo, flanger...) > delay > préamp.
    This said, I prefer compressor after distortion

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1 to no correct order. My setup is a classic example of non classic. My compressor is after the od/dist, not before, and my chorus is before, not after. Also, when I used to use wah, it went after the od/dist, not before.

8. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Have you completely given up on the wha Darkharted? I suggest you put it in a box, stamp it and send it to me then! PM me for my adress :D.

EDIT to stay on topic: I go compression - distortion - flanger. It came around like this: first there was distortion... then compression. I tried it both before and after distortion => Before! Then came the flanger. Again I tried it before and after distortion => After! Didn't even have to try it before compressor. Maybe someday I will. But no-one seems to run it that way. So it's good!

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Haha, not happenin' :p

Actually, I was thinking the other day that Timmy C has 3 channels to his setup (1 clean, 2 dist+wah), so I've bought one of these:
    [​IMG]
    The 3 channels are clean, distorted, and distorted w/ wah. I can do this cus my wah has an in and out and has a 3rd jack that can be either/or. I've run my bass into my PDDI, and run the thru jack to the mixer (clean channel). I'd then run my PDDI to the wah, and run the wahs out jacks to the other 2 ins on the mixer.

The Chain is something like:
    WahBoard-May11-2006.

[/Hijack]

10. here is how i like it to be set up.

i put the compresor first so I can make the best of my octabass as far as sound and tracking goes. Then i put my distortions. i use to put a pre amp afther all the distortions but i have removed it. Then it goes in to filters and modulation efx all the way to delay and reverb. All of this goes into a jamman loop/phrase sampler. But when I buy or get a new toy I move it around the first month!! In general you shold put dimamic efx and tracking efex like octavers near your instrument and the space and time efx at the end of a cahin!

this set could change when i make noise feedback electronica but that is just noise and not a real playing situation!! ;)

This things might work for me but your situation could be completly different!! good luck and God speak :D

11. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    thanks for the help guys,
    im just gonna fool around with the order and see which i like best.

12. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    @ DarkHarted:

How does that line mixer work out for you? My homemade overdrive sounds great, but eats up lows - so I kinda need to figure out how to split my signal without tone-loss on my clean tone.

Does it suck up any tone at all that mixer? :oops:

13. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Well I have a similar setup but a few lees effects....

Bass --> MXR M-80 --> Morley Wah --> Behringer Limiter/Enhancer

+1 on comments for wah after dist, I find it makes the wah alot more boosted this way when engaged.

14. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    It's actually workin' out pretty good, and I'd recomend it for your situation. The settings I'm at right now w/ the mixer:

Wah Chan. = Almost full on (3 o'clock). Otherwise it gets lost in the mix if it's set lower than the clean or dist channels.

Dist Chan. = Just a little bit on (9 o'clock). This just adds the right amount of grit back that's lost when the wah is back. Unlike my previous dist-wah-dist I don't have to boost the bass freqs before or after the wah. It sounds a little more natural that way.

Clean Chan. = 1/2 way on. This balances out everything and puts back the natural "thump" of the bass. It also keeps everything rather "fat" even when the wah is forward.

Oh ya, and no real noticable tone suck!

15. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Alright thanks a lot.

Only thing that keeps me away from trying such a thing is, that I want to use my sansamp programmable as DI for gigging/recording.. don't really see how I can set it up :confused:

Code:
    Bass -> Aphex PF -> A/B/Y 
                        |   |
                        |   `---- channel 2------------|
                         `---- overdrive--> channel 1--|
                                                       |
                                                       v
                                                  mixer out
                                                       |        
                                                       v
                                                  Sansamp
                                                       |
                                                       v

Wonder how that'll work :confused:

16. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i did some rearranging.

now its bass-> tuner-> limiter-> m-80-> odb-3-> eq-> bass attack-> amp

im getting a tone that im really liking its very punchy and gritty.

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Should work perfectly fine. The SA is a quasi-preamp, and on the first test of the mixer I ran it (the mixer) into my practice amp :D

18. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    The only suggestion that I'd make would be to put the TU-2 Tuner at the END of the chain. Why? There's a buffer built into the TU-2s output stage that shaves off a bit of output from your bass. You'll get better response from both your autowah and crunchbox if you put the TU-2 at the end.

My .02