Is my Clarus man enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Do you think that an Acoustic Image Clarus (180 watts @4 ohms) would be adequate to push, say, an Avatar 2x12 for mid-volume rock duties? Ignore the lack of tonal coloration, for now--I'm fully aware of that problem.

I can't tell you how much I miss my Fafner and my pair of GS112s these days... :smug:
  2. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Doesn't sound like a lot of push much volume for a rock setting.

Maybe something like the AI Focus (I think somewhere along the lines of 600W into 4ohms) might do a better job of keeping up in a rock setting. They weigh about the same too I think.
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I've done rock stuff with as little as 150 watts before; you just have to be smart about EQ. My GK was mid heavy, and I suspect a little underrated in power, too. Your mileage may vary.
  4. EQ? On a Clarus? *snicker*

Yeah, I think I may be wanting to sell that and buy something bigger at some point.
  5. Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I have a Clarus and it is incapable of driving an Aggie GS112 at anything much above bedroom levels without farting out. Granted the 112 is an 8 ohm cab but I can't see it doing much better with a second cab or a 4 ohm version.
  6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I've run my Clarus on top of a 4-ohm Avatar 210 and it gets going pretty well. Not the push of the Focus, but still OK. Decreasing impedance not only lets the Clarus make more power, it really seems to open up the sound. I have a Series II Focus and a Series I Clarus, and the Series II stuff has a lot more headroom. Since they put out a little more power I think that the SII and SIII Clarus heads could do OK with a 4 ohm cab.

Also, if you were going to try this I would look for a 4 Ohm cab with a high sensitivity rating. Something over/around 100db/1WM. Most bass gear now goes for low freq at the expense of efficiency. heck, if you could score a pair of 4-ohm 1x12's you would be in bidness :smug:
  7. I've got a Series I Clarus. I did some jazz gigs with it and a single GS112 in college and it was great, but for bigger stuff I hauled out both GS112s and the Fafner. Now THAT was a rig.
  8. Headroom is a funny thing and doesnt always seem to depend on the available power from the amp. I have a pair of Aggie GS112's and I use them for almost all my louder gigs. I was using an Eden WT400 with fairly good results, but sometimes I found it a bit lacking in headroom....When I ended up forgetting it one night I ended up powering the pair of Aggies with a little GK Mb150 combo ( internal speaker off ) and it sounded great, but also really loud, louder than the Eden and only 150w ??? I now have an AI Clarus II and I find it farts out very easily at a loud gig depending on which bass I use. If I use my vintage Jazz into the Clarus/Aggies its way too quiet...put a BDDI in the chain and it improves, change over to my Stingray with the active pre and its not bad at all but still not what you would call Rockin .... I would say the Focus/ Aggies combination is well loud enough at 600w, but I recently purchased a Markbass Little Mark II head, 500w into 4 ohms and only about 6lbs weight.....I am blown away by this little head, tons of volume and great tone, much louder than the Eden ever was. I am selling my Clarus at the moment because the Markbass is also beautiful with my EUB and a single Aggie 12. As a comparison when I had a pair of Dr Bass cabs..a 1x12 and a 2x10 ( each 500w rating ) the Clarus couldnt drive them any better than the Aggies so bottom line, if you need Rock volume the Clarus is not your man....
  9. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Just curious, why did you get rid of your Fafner? I had one that I also got rid of (reliability problems) but it sounded so dang good I just bought another one.