Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is My Computer Dying?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jan 23, 2003.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    The past couple of days the hard drive in my computer has been making strange noises. I would describe it as almost a mild grinding sound. The computer runs fine, better than ever. Should I get this checked out, or is this nothing to worry about? Thanks!:)

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you have a hard drive making grinding noises, you're likely about to lose it.

If you have a fan that's directly on a chip making grinding noises, you're likely to lose the chip if the fan quits.

If you have a case fan that's grinding, your immediate risk is less, but you still might want to replace it soon.

I am, uh, no expert, btw. Pay more attention to others who may post advice. Just tryin' to help out. :)

3. yes I don't have to read the thread. You should disregard whatever anyone says and throw away the computer!
    :D

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Doing a backup might be a good idea.

When you say grinding, do you just mean it's making the usual clicking noise, but much more so, or is it making a different noise to what it normally does?

It could be a fragmentation issue. The hard drive might have become so fragmented that it's taking a lot of drive activity to read the data from it. If so, try running Windows Degfrag program. You'll find it in the Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools.

5. Just to mention it, check so you don't have any cables hanging in front of fans...when they touch the fins, it makes a noise(or rather any number of noises) that can resemble the sound of a dying hd. I've been repairing PC's for 12 yrs, and I still go for that one...

6. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Well, it's being quiet for right now. I took a "low-tech" approach: I lifted the CPU tower about a half inch from my desk and dropped it. Just like that, the noise subsided! I did run the defrag, but there are still some files that are fragmented. It's a 20G hard drive, BTW.

I've backed just about all my programs up and just pray for the best.

7. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    BACKUP!!!!!!

...Then get a new Hard Drive. You can get an 80gig for like 90 bucks these days. If you dont have a burner or other backup device, buy the new hardrive, partition it and copy your new files to the 2nd partition.

8. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Well, I found the culprit. Opened her up and discovered it was the fan on my graphics accelerator card making all the racket! Took the fan off, sprayed the dust out of it, sprayed it with a little WD-40, reinstalled it, and it is now quiet as a mouse!

We'll see how long this fix works.:cool:

9. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Ah, the click of death.

Prepare to get a new harddrive, friend.

10. The click of death is followed shortly thereafter by the blue screen of death. My home computer, after resurrecting it more times than I can count, finally gave up the ghost a couple weeks ago. The UPS guy just delivered my new Dell this afternoon. NICE!