Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my Eden WT-550 and two Epifani T-110ULs enough??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sfbass, Mar 28, 2004.

1. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi,
    It would seem my current rig is getting pushed too hard and I was curious if anyone else running a similar setup has encountered these problems or not. Rig = Eden WT-550 into two Epifani T-110ULs.

I play in a pop/rock band and we do get pretty loud, so granted, I'm probably asking too much of two 10" cabs. Problem = the EQ clip indicator at the end of the chain is going off all the time at higher volumes. That said, my old rig (Gallien-Kreuger 800RB into two Aguilar GS-112s) never once approached its volume limits (but okay, the GK didn't even have any sort of clipping indicator, so who am I to say it didn't...but it never seemed to be struggling).

Believe me, I know you can't compare numbers/ratings on amps & cabs as so many other factors affect things, but the GK was 300 watts and doing fine; the Eden is running at 500 but seemingly on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Is the Eden's 500 rating legit? Or are the Epifanis just not very efficient? Or am I simply a dunce when it comes to setting levels? (I will add that I did use my Eden with an Eden 410 that was backlined at a show a few months back and the same thing occurred...EQ clip indicator lighting up very often at higher volumes. I don't know if that cab was 4 or 8 ohms, but honestly, with a 410 I really wasn't expecting this kind problem again...I always figured it was the result of only running two 10" cabs.)

Any advice would be appreciated. I've used both active and passive basses with my rig, and I've always run a 4-ohm load in all my setups. I guess I can't figure out why a 300-watt amp served me well but now a 500-watt one can't seem to cut it.

Thanks

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    IMHO, you're asking an aweful lot out of what is basically a 210 cab. While I'm not one to get in to the whole speaker area and movement of air thing, it may be a good idea to get more speakers to allow your head to do its thing. I've also heard the the Neo's aren't really the best speakers for bass amps and that they're a little better suited for PA type applications. Never used them though so take that for what it's worth. Perhaps a few 210's or the substitution of a 212 for one of the 110s' would make your life a little easier.

3. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I feel stupid because I've owned five Eden heads and can't remember if there is both an EQ clip light AND an output clip light but I think there is? If your running the Eden with the EQ basically flat and the compressor off then it doesn't make sense that you would be clipping. It would be helpful to know how you have your gain and master set and how you have your EQ set. I used to use a WT300 with a EPI 110 for small acoustic gigs with a small drum kit and think that with two 110's you might be able to pull it off if the band's stage volume isn't too high but your definitely pushing it.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sounds like a gain structure issue to me. Here's what Eden says about the EQ clip light in the manual to my (former) WT400:

"This indicator will flash if clipping occurs in the EQ section of the preamp. This can be remedied by decreasing the amount of boost in the EQ section or by decreasing the Gain control. This light should never be on while playing."

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm..

well, how's your EQ looking? if you're doing the ol' smilie face EQ with the attenutated mids and big highs / lows, then you might be "pushing back" your sound, making it seem quieter than it is.

also, keep in mind, if you push too much wattage at too long a time into those neodynium speakers, you're ruining the efficiency of the speakers. :(

6. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I also have a WT550 and play with a very loud drummer. When I first got it and used a EA CXL112 as a bottom the clip light came on all the time not to mention the EA bottomed out. I switched to a BagEnd S15D cabinet and no problem with loudness with one cab and the WT550. I'm not a tech so I can't tell if it's the efficiency of the cab because the EA is pretty efficient. I think it's the amount air you need to push and the 15 does it for me. I used to play with a SWR Bass350 and Goliath Jr. cab 2X10 but the Eden setup sounds much better and louder.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Those T-110UL sound great at lower volumes, but as you push them harder, they just don't move enough air to give you satisfying low end results. I would try a T-112 (or T-112UL) under one of your T-110UL's. I have found this combination to really be the best sound of all Epifani cabs and combinations of cabs that I have tried.

Tom.

8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    In my experience, most volume/clipping problems have more to do with cabs than amps. Certainly your amp has plenty of power so I don't think it's the problem. I think your application is too demanding for the cabs.

Do you still have the Aggie 112's? Is so, try using the WT550 with them and see if you can achieve the volume you need without clipping.

9. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks for the help everyone. Unfortunately I don't have the Aguilar cabinets any longer so I can't A/B things to see if that (the speakers) was the problem.

Anyhow, I had a rehearsal tonight and still had the same problems with the EQ clipping light coming on all the time, but the funny thing is that the speakers themselves sound fine. I mean, there's no evidence to my ears that anything is being pushed to the limits, it's simply that the light is coming on a lot (and more so if I boost any lower frequencies or turn up the Gain).

Also, regarding my settings: I know on the Eden amps you're supposed to turn the Gain up until the compressor light comes on periodically, so for me that's around 2 or 3 o-clock on the dial. I left most of the EQs flat (although I did turn up the Enhance to 11 o'clock), and then the Master volume was seriously cranked all the way. As such, there's just no headroom left: the amp is really at its max, so I think the problem is just that these cabinets aren't moving enough air.

Well, any other thoughts are certainly appreciated.

Thanks again.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Enhance is too high.

What that knob does is suck out your mids and boost the lows and highs.

If you want to be heard turn down the enhance knob and try again.

Peace
    Nick