Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is my Fender bridge crooked?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by um... yeah, Sep 26, 2004.

1. I have a '70's FSR Fender Jazz thats waiting for a warranty replacement neck at my local dealer (bass was purchased online, never again!). Man I have been waiting for a long time. Anyway, I remember that the string spacing was also quite funky, and couldn't really see the problem, as I took some quick measurements and the bridge seemed centred as it should.

I'm going to replace the bridge with a Hipshot "A" and I'm hoping that the factory holes will be in the right spot, as the new bridge will need new holes drilled and I don't want holes too close or overlapping.

Without me having this bass in front of me, could someone tell me the problem? Is this something that happens to Fenders occasionally? :meh:

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    If both screws aren't matched for height on each string at the bridge, you end up with funny spacing. As long as everything's fine with spacing at the nut, there should be no problem with the hipshot and even string spacing.

3. OK thanks,

The saddles as I remember seemed ok. I did put some makeshift carboard shims between the saddles, more just to see how bad it was than to actually use it like that.
    To me it seemed like the strings were all shifted to the right (looking face on), causing noticeable extra space between the fingerboard edge and the 'E' string.

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    It's common on some basses out there. When buying online you have to really look at the strings at the beginning of the neck to make sure they're not running diagonal. I recently seen a case of this on a Sadowsky on ebay.... a Sadowsky!!